X

Wheel bearings: metal shield vs. rubber seal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings: metal shield vs. rubber seal

I am getting ready to replace wheel bearings on the bike and am looking for information on rubber seals versus metal shields (2RS vs. ZZ). It seams that the ZZ's have a little higher RPM rating, but still well over what the bike needs even at excessive speeds.

I can't justify ponying up the cash for the OEM bearings when I can pick up 10 of the same size bearing for the price of one OEM bearing. If someone can convince me, I will do otherwise.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

These are what I bought for replacements.
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I'm also of the opinion that All-Balls brand wheel and steering bearings are significantly better than OEM. Get the ones spec'd by them for your bike and you'll not have to worry about issues like which shields. Since the races are as likely to be damages as the bearings themselves, always replace both at the same time...

NOTE: Most Kat wheel bearings go bad, in my experiences, from one of only two issues:
      (A) Tire mounters don't repack them (should be repacked each tire swap); OR
      (B) Owner spraying brake cleaner on the rotor sprays it at an angle that sends it down into the bearing area, where it eats away the grease.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have new AllBalls on the way from RonAyers.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I got the AllBalls on my bike and they are great...though you can't tell the difference, I guess I can't...I ordered straight from them though...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Since the races are as likely to be damages as the bearings themselves, always replace both at the same time...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Are they not the same part? The ball race is trapped inside the bearing?
            Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyoldgit View Post
              Are they not the same part? The ball race is trapped inside the bearing?
              It's not necessarily trapped, and you can buy just replacement balls if you contact a ball-bearing vendor that deals in supply via size (such as an industrial supplier) instead of a market-specific supplier (such as a motorcycle dealership).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The front bearings on my bike were sealed, and needed to be pressed in. I didn't think you could repack them. I just ordered mine from Bike Bandit, and they weren't but like 20-25 for the pair.

Comment

metal

Comment

Working...
                  X