No announcement yet.
X

R1 rear end swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel a little post happy tonight Here's a solid model of the adjustable shock/linkage mount I designed to help me get the correct settings. After I get everything where it needs to be, I'm going to make a welding jig to match the mounting points (swing arm bolt goes threw it and the jig clamps onto the upper frame tube). This will insure the brackets have been welded dead on location.

Kwebbel your bike looks like it came out great by the way! Nice work..
    Attached Files

Comment

Omg, I'm so glad you jumped into the thread. Dear guy2600 I look forward to your knowledgeable experience just like I have valued all the valuable information from every other poster.

As far as going down this road for this type of swap, I'm game. I have already purchased the Suzuki gsxr 1000 05-06 swing arm and rear sub frame. I knew their would be a need for special bushings but to make the bushings off center is something I had never imagined.

Their are problems that I knew I was going to encounter especially from lack of swap experience, hence why it was so important to me to accumulate as much knowledge and face as much of these problems before myself ad my mechanic started this swap.

I would appreciate as much help as possible.

Thanx for heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by guy2600
        Wrote some stuff..
        That's one serious mod by one serious modder
        Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

How do you plan to machine up the parts needed? What are you using for a shock, pivot & dog bones? I can post up prints for stuff but if you bring it to a machine shop to do, your looking at about $500 JUST to do the arm... and there's no guarantee it will be right either. In addition, you need to be able to ACCURATELY measure your frame to get your swingarm width (it will change after you cut your subframe and reweld it up). You need this measurement to determine the lip width on the bushing. Just because you bought the arm doesn't mean you need to go down this road, you can still use the gix subframe with another arm. So tell me, why the hell do you want to use this gsxr swingarm, why not use a much easier arm to swap, you will get the same performance out of the r1 arm. An even easier swap is the 1100 arm... just have some bracing welded onto it and walla!

Comment

This is the chassis I'm working on. This was just a mock-up pick to help me choose the color I'm painting it (red). If I was to do this over again, I would have went the R1 route, it would have been finished a year ago. I've got AT LEAST 300-400 hours of trial & error into this thing. I'm telling you, sell that 1000 arm, you'll be much happier..
            Attached Files

Comment

Pm sent.

Comment

Replied

Comment

Dissapointed.

First off let me say thank you to all whom have helped with the wonderful advice and first hand experience.

It seems my ambitions have become short lived.After conversing with guy2600 about what exactly I needed to do to make this happen, the reality hit that I was in over my head when it came to swapping in a gsxr 1000 arm.

It was then that I began to start to research in depth what other options I could take to at least adapt an arm that would allow me to run a 180.

So as it stands I have purchased a 2005-6 gsxr1000 swing arm a 05-06 gsxr 1000 rear sub frame , to only re list them for sale. I am sad to say I wont be embarking on this wonderful journey.

I have run into some financial problems that wont allow me to embark on this modification let alone keep the bike. It's even sadder to say that I'm also going to be forced to sell my winter car and rely on transit this upcoming winter.

Over the coarse of this week I have dived into dept and depression.So I need to begin crawling out of this whole.

If anyone is interested in purchasing these gsxr parts from me I will be willing to sell them for the price I paid for them which wasn't very much.

As well if anybody In Canada, or better said the Toronto Ontario region is interested in purchasing a 98 600cc katana feel free to contact me.

My best wishes to all, and keep the rubber side down.

Wish me luck, and I hope to one day to be able to ride again.

Cheers.It was fun while it lasted.

Comment

Sad to hear, hope you get sorted and back in the saddle soon.
                    Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

That sucks man! try to keep the Kat, you'll regret selling it.

Comment

DO i have to change out the swing arm and do all types of metal work to change out the tail end of my 1994 Katana 600.....on craigslist here in Atlanta someone is selling a tail end from a 03 honda CBR ( http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/528143186.html ) for $50 which is a great price IF i could use it at all. I don't really THINK i need to get as technical as changing out the swing arm to get what i want..and what i want is to trim away some fat. I've noticed that my kat's fairrings are designed to hide the suspension and a bunch of other stuff. I'm just wonder how i can go about trimming away some of that extra plastic to give the bike a more stream lined look...without buying or building a whole new bike lol. Basically im just trying to get the "know how" to do these kind of things myself.
                        I like'em naked!!

Comment

no you don't have to do that, if you want to perform some cosmetic surgery on your bike.
                          Just be aware that most off the stuff located behind the lowers are electrical components which can be relocated quite easily...
                          Leaves you with the question wether you want to chop and relocate the lower subframerails.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Kwebbel!!!! I think i'll buy the tail end and if i cant use it just re sale it for a $50
                            I like'em naked!!

Comment

yep, be sure to make plenty off pics once you start modding.

Comment

Working...
                              X