R1 rear end swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 rear end swap

Hi every body, I hope all is well.

After much searching I came across http://katriders.com/forums/viewtopi...ingarm&start=0

This rear end conversion really sat well with me, and thus I began searching for R1 parts which I could use to swap onto the Kat in the winter.

After searching the forums I came across a comment about using the r1 rear wheel over say the bussa wheel due to the fact that it was much lighter. Then I began speaking with my mechanic in regards to possibly swapping out the kat swing arm and implanting the r1 swing arm complete with rim and brake caliper. After shooting the idea around the conclusion was that it might be easier to flab the r1 rear swing arm to fit then to mod the stocker to except the new rim.That and the fact that the r1 swing arm looks more esthetically pleasing then the stocker was also a selling point.

My question is directed to those whom have made swing arm swaps like the rf900 and so on. I would like positive comments with real life issues and dilemmas when attempting a swap.

What problems will I and my mechanic run into while working on the kat.

Thank you for the space and for your replies. I'm looking forward to the project and your help is greatly appreciated.

I also found some interesting threads that are contributing to the answer to my question but you can never have enough info I say.

Comment

good luck with the swap if u are going try it. anything is possible
      your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Thanx, it might be easier to swap in a gixxer rear end after reading some of the posts made in one of the links I posted.

But in retro specs to weight and length the r1 and gixxer 1000 specs are as follows.
        r1 ===
        measured swing arm length >23.7 inches (603mm)
        Measured wheel base >56.1 inches =1426mm
        rear brake> 220m (8.7 inch) disc,single piston nissin caliper.
        rear wheel> 6.00x17.00 inch cast aluminum alloy
        rear tire >190/50-zr17
        rear wheel weight 53 pounds.

Gixxer 1000===
        measured swing arm length >22.0 inches(559mm)
        measured wheel base >56.3 inches (1430mm)
        rear brake >220mm (8.7inch) disc, single piston tokico caliper
        rear wheel> 6.00x17.0 inch cast aluminum alloy
        rear tire>190/50-zr17 bridge stone bt015r radial
        rear wheel weight 52 pounds.

So the r1 swing arm is a tad longer and the wheel a pound heavier and the katana already uses tokico brake products. Maybe swapping the gixxer 1000 swing arm and rear tire including brake caliper might be a better alternative.

Yet these statts are for for the 2007 bikes, which posses a problem because I have no clue whether either year swing arm will work on a 1998 katana 600.

Anybody care to help? Or shed some light?????

Comment

Ok, first off you want to know the width at the pivot point of the swingarm (where the bolt goes through the frame and holds the arm onto the bike)

Also you have to remember that when you swap the swingarm out you may run into issues with it hitting your rearsets (like my zx6r did) and you may have to refab a lower subframe brace. You can fix most everything else with some creativity and a welder...

I had to have a custom lower shock mount made, I also had bushings/spacers made to center the swingarm and let me use the stock katana swingarm bolt vs trying to machine out the frame to accept a larger pivot bolt. The rest is going to be trial and error
          Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKatnWV

Ok, first off you want to know the width at the pivot point of the swing arm (where the bolt goes through the frame and holds the arm onto the bike)

"the game" replies
            Ok I gotcha but does the width of the pivot point vary from year to year??
            Due to some outsourcing I was able to find a 05-06 gsxr 1000 swing arm,in your experience does the years of the bike really make a big difference in retro spec to the swing arm?

quote="BlackKatnWV"]

Also you have to remember that when you swap the swing arm out you may run into issues with it hitting your rear sets (like my zx6r did) and you may have to refab a lower sub frame brace. You can fix most everything else with some creativity and a welder...

"the game " replies

I see do you have any pics of your refab work that you did on the lower sub frame that way I can get some ideas and see how someone with experience tackled the work .

quote="BlackKatnWV"]

I had to have a custom lower shock mount made, I also had bushings/spacers made to center the swingarm and let me use the stock katana swingarm bolt vs trying to machine out the frame to accept a larger pivot bolt. The rest is going to be trial and error
            "the game" replies

A custom lower shock mount made? Does that mean you attempted to refab an existing oem piece or you had to make a new whole piece.

Im starting to lean towards the gsxr swing arm due to the fact that some members have already used that said arm or an arm like it from another suzuki platform.

In the end hours of searching and contemplating maybe the gsxr arm is the way to go .????

Comment

Sorry everybody It seems i replied and asked questions with in a quote.
              I have decided to go with the 06 gsxr 1000 swing arm since its available to me, and follow the steps given by the forum members. I gave up on the r1 swing arm after finding out the exact dimensional difference between the gixxer and the r1.

I will use the measurement layout in one of waltari's posts for the spacers.

My main concern now will be the shock mounts. Does anybody care to shed some light?

Comment

Yea, the shop made a new mount. They cut off the stock one and made one from scratch.

Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKatnWV
                  Yea, the shop made a new mount. They cut off the stock one and made one from scratch.

Wow thanx for the picks. So the shop made a new mount using the 6rr piece or did they end up using some of the katana parts.

Basically speaking, after viewing your pics, I'm very confident with all the valuable information that the swing arm swap will go well as long as I can document the info properly, my mechanic shouldn't have any unforseen problems with the job.

Yourself and waltari have been inspirations and fountains of information.

Im looking forward to my project which Ive dubbed.... project k-1.

K being for katana and 1 standing for the parts that came from 1000cc bikes.

If theirs any info you might think I might need I would greatly appreciate it. After carribana long weekend here in toronto I will converse with my mechanic and begin purchasing the parts.

Thank you very much for the info.

P.s which pegs did you end up going with and in your opinion is their an ideal relocation placement .

Comment

keep this updated with pics as u go i am thinking about the same mod to my kat
                    your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

For all you katana lovers out their that wished for that sexy rear end with the big fat ghetto tire (carribana humor)to match the wide front end , no worries you aren't alone.

I will try my best to make a picture story of the parts and progress that the 600 will go through and need.

Please keep in mind that its still summer here in Canada and I plan on riding my bike for the rest of the season so the picks and work wont be done until winter.

Besides I want to make sure I purchase all the parts and accessories well b4 the work even starts.

After consulting with my tech on Tuesday, I will purchase the gixxer swing arm with the rim and sprocket as well as the caliper and upgraded ss lines.

I am ecstatic just imagining what the bike will look like with the gixxer rear end and the r1 seat .

Im really looking forward to also being a productive team player on the forum, because if not for you guys this idea /dream wouldn't come true.

In the end we all just want a bike we and our piers admire.

Comment

It might be a little hard to make the r1 subframe work on the kat. It dependson what year you go with and all of that. The way it runs under the gas tank on the stock bike would have to be duplicated on yours and there really is no room. Im sure you could get it to work somehow but I dont know how.

As for my lower bracket they took steel, cut and grinded it into shape, welded it up and then all the stock swingarm stuff bolted up.
                        Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

I never cared about using an existing subframe, in the end it's all about properly lining-up front and rear, enough clearance for full swingarm-travel, right angle off the swingarm, probably fabbing some custom dogbones, shockmounts and most important off all reliable and safe work.

I'd suggest as a first step to chop the subframe, line up the rear with the front as a second step and from there rebuild the subframe.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
                            I never cared about using an existing subframe, in the end it's all about properly lining-up front and rear, enough clearance for full swingarm-travel, right angle off the swingarm, probably fabbing some custom dogbones, shockmounts and most important off all reliable and safe work.

I'd suggest as a first step to chop the subframe, line up the rear with the front as a second step and from there rebuild the subframe.

Thanx for the heads up, it makes sense to chop the frame and line everything up and make sure its all properly moving correcty.

What did you guys do to refortify or rebuild the stock sub frame?

I'm looking to double my dates every once in a while so my biggest fear would be a frail sub frame.

Comment

Basically there are two ways to go
                              most simple would be chopping off ONLY the lower subrails and relocating them, using the stock rear, saddle and plastics.
                              the other way would be using another rear (as you maybe can see I used a modded R1 monoseat) which will make you rebuilding the subframe, relocating all electric stuff, using another saddle, rearsets aso aso...

Comment

Working...
                              X