X

Need some fork seal, fork oil help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some fork seal, fork oil help

I've been reading on here about how to replace the seals and oil and such. I'm working on a 97 600, and I have the wheel, and calipers off. I don't see anything that resembles a drain plug near the bottom of the fork. Not too sure what's going on with that.

At any rate, this is my first time working on a bike, so I'm learning a lot, but could use some help as well.

I guess I have no idea if the forks that are on there are stock. I would assume that one wouldn't change the forks, but who knows.

Anybody in the Detroit area want to give me some guidance and enjoy some beer?

I have the same questions. I also have a '97 600 and don't see any drain plugs on the forks like the manual says. I'm also not sure on how much fork oil to put in. Should I be able to see fork oil near the top of the fork when I remove the cap bolt? Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Comment

the allenhead bolt on the bottom of the fork will drain the oil , as well as the top if you invert them , the bolt on the bottom is a bit hard to get off , i removed my forks from the bike , placed in a vise , remove the bottom bolt , pumped out all the oil , (don't lose the copper washer on the bolt ), after this i removed the dust seal , the clip ring , and used the whole assembly like a slide hammer , you can just pump it apart and the oil seal will separate and come out , with a little force), i refilled my forks from the bottom , backwards of what the book said and used 1 1/4 pvc pipe to drive the new seal on( do this before you add oil ) , put in 16 ounces of oil, and i was good to go, worked for me , granted its not by the book , but it took 30 min.

Comment

if there no drain bolt on the side take the fork off pop the cap off and pour it out and they hold 480ml of fluid so 1/2 a qt bottle 1 bottle for both forks
        I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

there is a drain bolt on the bottom of the fork, it's a 6mm hex bolt. It's up in the fork, slide the metal spacer out of the way that the axle goes through and there it is. But it's on pretty tight, if you don't have an impact or at least a vice, have fun getting that out

Comment

Are there any tricks to taking the forks out of the top triple clamp? I can't seem to figure out what size the bolt is, as nothing seems to fit into it. (Yes, I'm using metric). I'm a bit afraid of stripping the head.

thanks!

Comment

no theres no trick, just loosen the pinch bolts there two on each handle bar clip on, one on each side of the upper triple clamp, one on each side of the lower triple clamp. Once you loosen those spray the forks down with WD40 and they slide right out.

Comment

same way for a 1994 GSX? drain then slide the forks out?
                Candy causes Cavities!

Comment

GSX , or GSXF ? My 93 has drain bolts on the bottom of the forks . But I've taken mine apart and done it that way the couple times I've had to do mine .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

GSXF. is there any photos in "how-to-do" section for step by step?
                    Candy causes Cavities!

Comment

I THINK I recall seeing something . If not , lemme know . I SHOULD have my new seals here in a couple days . I'd LIKE to get them in this weekend if I get them (next weekend if not) , and I can maybe snap some pics then .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

pre98's as far as i know 600's and 750's both have the drain plug, it is a small hex bolt(10mm) on the back side of the fork near the bottom. Only one there that is visible. pretty sure there is a how to. Post 98 bikes don't have the drain plug. As far as the bolt at the top of the fork tubes, i think it is 24 mm not sure maybe even up to 28 mm. HOWEVER, i think the 88, or 89 kats have a different fork top, not sure.

Also fill in your ride profile so we can better help you, as far as info more specific to your bike.

OH the write up i have found usefull and did mine was at http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ce_fork_seals/ they have great how to. they have many other how to

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
                        X