40 cent suspension upgrade and question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brooder
    Originally posted by Kat600
    I did the $1.00 mod today. Actually only cost me 60 cents. I cut two spacers from 1 1/4 in. outer diameter PVC. I cut mine 8 3/4 inches long. I went for a 10 mile ride. What a difference. The bike is much more stable in curves. Has a much better ride, no dive when braking or letting off the throttle. I couldn't believe the difference in the curves. I was faster and the bike was just so much more responsive. Definately worth the small cost and effort. I cut mine with my compound miter saw, so I know the ends are square. I then sanded them with emery cloth to make sure, and washed and dried them to make sure there were no PVC shavings.
    Not bashing you, MD. Just pointing out that it was there.
    Man , I even went back and looked before I posted and STILL missed it . Alright , you GOT me .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i maybe rong but i think inside and outside diameter of the pvc changes slightly with the schedule of the pipe (the thickness) 40 and 80 are the common ones 80 being thicker.
      how tight do the spacers fit in the tube? to install them you just remove the top nut on the fork??

Comment

The stock spacers aree'nt REAL tight (they slide right in/out) . The PVC ain't , either . You could just remove the fork cap bolts to get at them , yeah . Just mgiht wanna have the front in the air so the spring pressure don't shoot those caps in your face .

Comment

thanks for the tip. never had a fork apart.
          one i get the top bolt off could i send down a slim tube and suck out the old fork oil?? i bet i'm overdue for a fork oil change.

Comment

front spacer

8) I just did the mod to my 03 600 and love it. Feels better with not as much brake dive. Definately felt the difference in the handling. I used a 1 1/4 od pvc 3/4 long. Gonna try this for awhile and might go a little more. Will be changing fluide and bushings before to long and might go somemore on it. I like it now, big improvement over stock set up. My spacer was 6 inches, it's 6 3/4 now and I weigh in at 148 lbs. This is one mod I highly recommend. Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

Ok, I have done a little searching, and I might have just missed it, but is there someplace where there is a step-by-step on how to do this? Like, Forks For Dummies?

Comment

Depends on which method you wanna try .....
                If you just stick washers or a big nut in there , that's pretty much it . If you replace the slider/spacer with PCV , you gotta cut it to the right length , then stick it in there . It's REALLY quite easy . If there's a part you're shady on .....

Comment

LordKeryth: remove top cap, replace stock spacer, or add new spacer, replace top cap.
                  http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

Re: front spacer

Originally posted by coolhandluke
                    8) I just did the mod to my 03 600 and love it. Feels better with not as much brake dive. Definately felt the difference in the handling. I used a 1 1/4 od pvc 3/4 long. Gonna try this for awhile and might go a little more. Will be changing fluide and bushings before to long and might go somemore on it. I like it now, big improvement over stock set up. My spacer was 6 inches, it's 6 3/4 now and I weigh in at 148 lbs. This is one mod I highly recommend. Thanks for the tips guys.
                    I just took a look at the fork spacers in my '02 750 & they are 6" also. I intend to replace them with extended stainless steel tubes later this week. I'll bring them out to 7" or so. How are you finding it now you've had some time to adjust coolhandluke?

It seems that the front fork spring free lengths in the 98+ models are about 2" longer and the spacers about 2" shorter, so the longer springs may tolerate a slightly greater preload (via extended spacers) to achieve a comparable effect. Anybody have thoughts on or experience with the 98+ 6" fork spacers?

I'll update once I've tried it out and I'll post pics if anybody's interested.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                    -Albert Einstein

Comment

it really is worth getting the proper spring. cheating the preload is a quick fix but you'll sacrifice fork travel. you may not think you'll need all that travel ( and for the most part you don't ) but when you hit the bigger bumps, and add in any lean angle, you don't want the front end going stiff !

if you can't spring ( ) the $120 try these.

$80.00 ! a pretty good deal.

tim

Comment

$80 sounds GREAT for some proper springs . Dammit , now there's ANOTHER thing I have to add to my list ....

Comment

Originally posted by smoubara
                          thanks for the tip. never had a fork apart.
                          one i get the top bolt off could i send down a slim tube and suck out the old fork oil?? i bet i'm overdue for a fork oil change.
                          Pre 98 has a drain screw, be careful as it also holds the damper base in position. 98+ you can try the suction method I guess. You would be surprised at the amount of congealed poop that is in the fork though..
                          I see you have a 2000.. I guess (Dependant on mileage) the seals are still ok.

Comment

Great mod but I think I'm in the metal spacer camp, Not really fond of the PVC, ABS, or whatever camp. And I bet the plastic spacers that come in the kit everyone is talking about is Nylon.
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                            1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                            RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                            3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                            Black painted seat and rear trim,
                            Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                              That was me.. I used a Pecan..
                              Actually I used a stainless steel nut..
                              I was leary of using plastic for a few reasons.
                              1. The effect of the oil on the PVC
                              2. Strength
                              3. I was worried about chips, shavings etc.
                              4. It was handy
                              5. It is demensionally sound! That is
                              it is square and even. Cutting PVC will mean making sure the
                              ends are square and smooth. Cutting on a lathe would be best.

PVC is a generic term, what Progressive uses may be a plastic
                              but not the same composition as Home Depot carries.
                              I know people have used PVC. It's an old trick but given the
                              choice I'll use metal..

What size steel nut did you use?
                              Is this only for a Pre or will it work on a post
                              Last edited by doblerj14; 06-29-2010, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I finally got mine done. I used some copper pipe I had lying around. Perfect fit by the way, a touch heavy but! Went for a full inch and it might just be a bit too much. Now I get a touch of chatter on relatively smooth roads with a slight ripple.
                                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                                Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                                R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                                1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                                RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                                3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                                Black painted seat and rear trim,
                                Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Working...