X

urethane/epoxy filler vs. plastic welding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urethane/epoxy filler vs. plastic welding

I have a couple of cracks in plastic from previous owner. Am I going to need to use a plastic welder or can I use "bumper repair " kits from the automotive stores.

that a good question

my fairing are like plastic more than rubber ,i use plastic weld in a part and look ok (mine is a 05 )
    power is nothing w/o control

Comment

I used a soldering iron to melt the crack, then filled it in with melted plastic. It's strong (but apparently not strong enough.....), and you can clean it up fairly easy with a file and sandpaper. As for the bumper kits, I haven't really seen those.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Hey when i got my bike, the previous owner had some damage on it. I work at a body shop and what i used was fiber glass. I sanded downed the pastic to make it a ruff surface in order for the fiber glass to grab on. i repaired it with fiberglass from behind so it would break again and then i used lite wieght plastic on the outside. After every was done. You could not even tell ti was ever damaged.

Comment

You can use the bumper repair kits (basically plastic FUSOR brand adhesive) IF your cracks line up perfectly and there's nothing missing. Better route to go is plastic welding, using either a real plastic welder (try HarborFreight and Eastwoodautomotive.com), or at least a very broad-tipped soldering iron and some shredded ABS.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X