X

Need carb advice by Dec.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need carb advice by Dec.

I have a 750 Kat with cobra F1's and I have already purchased but not mounted a set of pods. Just need someone who has this type setup
    to recommend a jet kit . Sizes and brand would be very helpful.
    Anyone? Your help is appreciated.

I know dyna jet has a variety of main jet sizes. If you dont have ones that are large enough, then you cvan allways get bigger ones at the dealer. I have an Ivans jet kit, but I had to go out and buy bigger mains. It only comes with 110's
    Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

For your pre-98 with cobra F1's and a set of Pods, I'd recommend going with the FactoryPro kit (www.factorypro.com), then visiting a dyno tuning center. Tuning a Kat with pods is usually extremely difficult, and I wouldn't suggest using a hit-n-miss approach, but instead simply plunk down the cash to get it on an exhaust analyzer and done right.
      Just be aware that if your area uses special "seasonal" or "winter" formulation gasolines (MTBE, TANE or other oxygenators, etc), carb tuning done mid-winter will probably not run well come next summer when the fuel supply gets switched back to standard gas. This is because the ideal fuel-air mix rates change with such fuels quite a bit, going from an ideal 14.7:1 for a pure octane+heptane mix to as low as 14.1:1 for MTBE-laden gasolines.

Originally posted by illinoiskat
      I have an Ivans jet kit, but I had to go out and buy bigger mains. It only comes with 110's
      You didn't have to go out and buy bigger mains -- if you had called Ivan, he would have sent them to you (as an owner of his jetkit) for free, as well as talking to you about why you needed them, etc. The real question is what mod did you do to the bike that caused you to need bigger mains?

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I had not heard this before, I was told not to use pods but to go with a drop in K@N. If I decided to go with the drop in what then? Still recommend a dyno? I was hoping someone had already dyno tested and had written down all the sizes and settings. I dont know of a shop with a dyno around here, Martinsburg ,WV. If I found one how much would it cost to dial it in?

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        For your pre-98 with cobra F1's and a set of Pods, I'd recommend going with the FactoryPro kit (www.factorypro.com), then visiting a dyno tuning center. Tuning a Kat with pods is usually extremely difficult, and I wouldn't suggest using a hit-n-miss approach, but instead simply plunk down the cash to get it on an exhaust analyzer and done right.
        Just be aware that if your area uses special "seasonal" or "winter" formulation gasolines (MTBE, TANE or other oxygenators, etc), carb tuning done mid-winter will probably not run well come next summer when the fuel supply gets switched back to standard gas. This is because the ideal fuel-air mix rates change with such fuels quite a bit, going from an ideal 14.7:1 for a pure octane+heptane mix to as low as 14.1:1 for MTBE-laden gasolines.

Originally posted by illinoiskat
        I have an Ivans jet kit, but I had to go out and buy bigger mains. It only comes with 110's
        You didn't have to go out and buy bigger mains -- if you had called Ivan, he would have sent them to you (as an owner of his jetkit) for free, as well as talking to you about why you needed them, etc. The real question is what mod did you do to the bike that caused you to need bigger mains?

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by jfray
          I had not heard this before, I was told not to use pods but to go with a drop in K@N. If I decided to go with the drop in what then? Still recommend a dyno? I was hoping someone had already dyno tested and had written down all the sizes and settings. I dont know of a shop with a dyno around here, Martinsburg ,WV. If I found one how much would it cost to dial it in?
          A drop-in stage 1 kit works because all the variables are known to the manufacturer ahead of time -- they know which exhaust you have, what filtration restriction is in place. Even in situations like that, you may find that you need to do some post-install tuning to compensate for the local altitude, humidity, weather and any botique fuels if they are in use. Once you start changing parts, the equations get even more upset and more tweaking/tuning is required (larger/smaller jets, etc) -- and in your case, you're looking at a lot of changes between the pods and the exhaust.

I don't know what the shop rates are in your area, but you can normally figure that it will cost 2 to 2.5 hours to install and properly tune a jetkit in conjunction with both pods and aftermarket end-to-end exhaust. If you only changed end-cans (but not headers), do not get pods ( ), sticking instead to either the OEM air filter or opting for the K&N airbox-style filter. This will make your life much easier and you won't lose anything (because without the aftermarket headers to exhaust more volume, adding the pods to permit more intake doesn't benefit you).
          If you want to go the cheapest route, find someone who will just give you dyno runs with the exhaust output printed out (most shops will do this for $20 - $40 a run), which will let you go home between runs and disassemble, tweak, and then go back and re-run it. Figure 2 or 3 runs and you should be able to get the set-up perfect yourself. But again, if you are going full end-to-end exhaust and pods, it will probably take more than 2 to 3 runs to get it perfect, if it can be gotten perfect at all (not all combinations of hardware will work well together).

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X