X

Nice 1$ (Pre98)Fork Improvement :D

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smoubara
    do you change the fork oil at this point?
    Note that to change the fork oil on the 98+ Kats does require removing the forks from the bike (because unlike the earlier models, there is no lower drain bolt to permit you to drain it out from the bottom and refill it from the top). This doesn't mean you have to change the oil when you put the spacer in -- but if it's due, it would be wise to do everything at once.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      Originally posted by smoubara
      do you change the fork oil at this point?
      Note that to change the fork oil on the 98+ Kats does require removing the forks from the bike (because unlike the earlier models, there is no lower drain bolt to permit you to drain it out from the bottom and refill it from the top). This doesn't mean you have to change the oil when you put the spacer in -- but if it's due, it would be wise to do everything at once.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Including seals..
      IMO half the work is getting the forks off the bike..

Comment

thanks for the info.

Comment

okay. I read this, but it is unclear to me how 'easy' this is. How long would it take to do this mod? Do I just unbolt the top bolt (#26), use pliers or something and pull out tube (#22). How would I get washer (#21) out? I would the just insert the spacer and put everything back in, and forcefully try to close up the cap?

I guess the alternative that people have been doing is to replace the tube (#22) with a longer PVC pipe?
          Roops Photography|facebook|
          03 GSXR 1000
          04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
          Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

You can take the spacer tube out with your fingers..
            Unless you don't want to get ickky..

You're right about the rest..
            It might take you 30 minutes..

Comment

When I did mine the other day, I hadn't lifted the bike completely off the ground, so the spacer just popped right out of the top. after that, I changed fork oil (pre98), then used a length of PVC pipe to replace the spacer. I then raised the front end off the ground, loosened the bolts holding the fork in place, and raised the fork by about an inch - in effect lowering the front end by the same amount. Then I just tightened the fork bolts, pushed the fork cap back down, and locked everything back into place.

By doing that, I was able to tighten up the forks, chang the oil, and drop the front end by an inch - all with no help!

CAUTION
              Hypothetically speaking - If you're planning on changing the fork oil, and you realize you put too much in, and you decide to open the drain plug to drain out the excess, it would be wise to consider reclaiming that lost oil, rather than simply dumping it in the drain pan. If you don't, you may end up needing more oil. By reclaiming, you don't have to go all the way down to the stoopid bike shop to buy another quart of fork oil halfway through the freakin' job.

Hypothetically speaking, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by stealth
                Hypothetically speaking, of course...
                Experience is the best teacher eh?
                Roops Photography|facebook|
                03 GSXR 1000
                04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

yah, sucks. i hate stopping in the middle of a job, especially if it means i have to wait longer to go for a ride...

Comment

What diameter PVC are you guys using? I'd like to pick up everything i need before I start taking things apart.

Thanks
                    -- Craig S. - -
                    aka - craigkat

1996 katana 600

Comment

i think mine was one inch. Just grab a monkey wrench (or perhaps the correct size, if you have it,) take off the top cap and check it. it's just right there, and you don't have to pull it all the way out. But I think mine was an inch.

I bought some extra length to help put the cap back on. Once it was all ready, I put the PVC over the adjusting cap, held it down, and turned. That made it a lot easier to start the cap in the forks, having only myself to put the whole thing back together.

I either keep my wife locked in the closet or outside working on my bike, and that day was closet day, so I had to do the job alone.

Comment

A monkey wrench?! Go to Sears and get the correct size and stop hacking the bike up....

EDIT: Wow this post is old.....

Comment

Originally posted by TBFGhost
                          A monkey wrench?! Go to Sears and get the correct size and stop hacking the bike up....

EDIT: Wow this post is old.....
                          But still very relevant and usefull
                          Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

yes.. and the post i just needed. thx again all you great guys and girls. (not to forget)

Sorry for my s h i t t y english, but i'm danish.

My bike... http://kortlink.dk/4dsu
                            sigpic

Comment

I know this post is old buit I have a question on this mod.

Can one use a copper spacer an inch longer than spacer #22 or does it have to be PVC?

Thanks

Tok

Comment

bump
                                Last edited by Tokalosh; 07-15-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X