X

has anyone eliminated the grab bar from thier kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone eliminated the grab bar from thier kat

i think the grab bar is kinda ugly look, no doubt it functions great, ive taken it off but dont like the holes it leaves in the tail, was thinking about trying to make some sort of inserts that can go in a bolt on to fill the gap, not sure if someone has done this already or if there are after market inserts.

any know of aftermarket inserts? or made their own?

Use a carrage bolt.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I took it off mine too. I know a guy that does upholstery so I'm going to have it re-upholstered. Doing it that way, basically, instead of unbolting the seat from the brackets, I will have to unbolt the brackets from the frame to get the back seat off, but hey, no ugly holes!!
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Another option for you:

Screw head covers

Of just get the right size stainless round head to match up with your fairing screws.

Comment

oh i'm talking about on an 05. guess i should have mentioned that, its not just holes it notched out of the tail faring.

Comment

Originally posted by JB1988 View Post
            oh i'm talking about on an 05. guess i should have mentioned that, its not just holes it notched out of the tail faring.

A simple insert custom made to fill in the holes is probably what you want. You can make them out of fiberglass, or even hobby clay that can be fired in your oven once shaped and formed. Paint it to match, use the same bolts that held the grab bar to hold them in place or pick bolt heads you like better from a local hardware store.

KRey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              A simple insert custom made to fill in the holes is probably what you want. You can make them out of fiberglass, or even hobby clay that can be fired in your oven once shaped and formed. Paint it to match, use the same bolts that held the grab bar to hold them in place or pick bolt heads you like better from a local hardware store.

KRey
              thanx krey, figured thats what i was gonna have to do, just thought i'd check if anyone had done it already, just have to add that project to the list
              Last edited by JB1988; 03-24-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I seem to recall a while back someone took a spare grab handle they bought and cut the entire middle section out. IIRC it was the base were it bolts in and an inch or to cut down and shaped then repainted.
                Kyle

Comment

Working...
                X