X

Data Logger

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Logger

I'm on Hobby King's email list and just got this today. It was designed for remote control vehicles but would be perfect to toss under your seat for a day at the track. And its cheap, 50 bucks. It records everything like the average and top speeds but what is really cool is it also records you GPS position. Plug it into your computer and it uses Google Earth to map out where you went, how fast you got there and how long you lingered. It has a readout as well so you can mount it to your bars and see everything but the map at all times. It can be powered with 3-4 AAA,AA or D batteries, or you can use a cigarette lighter phone charger(they are 5vdc) hooked to your bike battery and not worry about it.

By the way, if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

"We have all heard the “fishing stories” out at the field and on the track, “My RC car does 120mph” or “My ducted fan accelerates going vertical!”…well, it’s time to prove it!

The Quanum GPS Logger V2 Is a stand-alone device that Packs the power of a U-BLOX NEO-6 GPS receiver, and records everything from; distance traveled, start and end positions, UTC time stamps, course and speed…and the infamous MAX speed the logger reached. The data can be viewed on the integrated backlit LCD or the NEMA data can be downloaded to a PC and plotted out on map sites such as Google Earth. To save weight the logger gets its power from a spare channel from your receiver so no additional battery is needed.

There are endless uses, from finding your model's maximum speed and utilizing the hard-data to refine your set-up, and of course there is provable bragging rights you could flaunt around on youtube! Heck, you could even attach a small battery pack and drop it in your kids backpack and see if they really went to the library after school or not…The Quanum GPS Logger is just one of those tools you should just have in your tool box for when hard-data is better than your calibrated eyeball.

Specs:
    Receiver: NEO-6M U-BLOX
    Frequency: L1, 1575.42 MHz, C/A Code
    Channels: 50
    Max Speed Recording: 1000km/h
    Sensitivity: -161 dBm (Tracking & Navigation)
    Accuracy: 2.5 m (GPS), 2.0 m (SBAS)
    Cold Start: 27 s approx.
    Navigation: UTC date and time, geographic coordinates, time, speed, course
    Logging: geographic coordinates, date and time, speed, course, distance (up to 100km)
    Logging time: >1000 hours
    Logging ON/OFF Control: Manual, RC (1520us)
    Indicator: LCD, 2*16 with backlit
    Control: menu/page, enter
    Voltage: 4.5V ~ 6.5V
    Current: 80mA typical
    Size: 24 x 77 x 18mm
    Weigh: 43g

*Note: To download the NMEA file to your computer for history mapping, you will need a standard RS-232 cable - not included. All other information can be viewed via the integrated LCD and menu."

Hobbyking - the world's No1 Online Hobby Store. We stock a huge selection of RC products from Planes right through to Drones and all accessories. Visit Us Today.

That's very cool.

But also, for those with smart phones, there are apps that will do that.

Sports Tracker is pretty good. It has jogging and bicycle functions, and can be set to stop logging when below 10 mph or something. I don't know if it will work for motorcycle use, but imagine it might.
    Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
    Ride: 2002 750F Kat
    "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

Originally posted by Circuitmage View Post
      That's very cool.

But also, for those with smart phones, there are apps that will do that.

Sports Tracker is pretty good. It has jogging and bicycle functions, and can be set to stop logging when below 10 mph or something. I don't know if it will work for motorcycle use, but imagine it might.

At least one member "Talltec" was posting this kind of detail info.

Another former member posts additional info associated with the vids of him riding combined along with a map that shows you moving on the road and a read out of what's going on.

Both options from a smart phone.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Only has a Max Speed Recording of: 1000km/h - so no good for a Kat
        2002 GSXF 750

Comment

I use Runtastic which is running, workout, etc app. It has gps features, mapping, mile marker, max, avg speed, elevation, etc. It works great and has pause features and you have the option of saving the data on your phone, in addition to creating an online profile or simply sending it via email, etc.
          -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't have the comparisons in front of me, but one of the issues with dataloggers is that if they don't sample at a high enough rate your data is suspect. Especially with cell phones, the GPS receiver in cell phones is not as good as other offerings.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

if youre into electronics I can recommend arduino microcontroller with gps module and sd card module. you can sample fairly often. it requires some programming but most of that stuff is already done by thousands so you can follow copy paste directions. elementary schools / high schools are starting to use them at science classes.
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                I don't have the comparisons in front of me, but one of the issues with dataloggers is that if they don't sample at a high enough rate your data is suspect. Especially with cell phones, the GPS receiver in cell phones is not as good as other offerings.

I have been very impressed with my phone (Android Razr Maxx) GPS accuracy.

I use it frequently when in a car and it appears accurate and stable.

I do understand your point though, especially if you are traveling between coverage or black out areas. I would expect most tracks and city roads to have good coverage nowadays.

The dedicated logger is an interesting idea. Probably good for accident data too.
                Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS

Comment

Also realize that roads aren't straight lines. Most GPS speeds are straight line distance between two sample points. Because of this there is a tendency for it to over estimate the actual speed you are traveling.

Cheaper GPS chips sample less frequently, and with lesser accuracy.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

So, I haven't looked in a while, turns out there are some very cool phone apps out there. Now I see some that show braking, acceleration, as well as speed and distance data.

Will try some of those apps this week.

Comment

Now that said, some of the cell phones with A-GPS are more accurate since they use a combination of GPS information and tower triangulation.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

OK, so last night I used GPS SPeed Graph (for Android). Not impressed.

Over at 30+ mile stretch of major arteries, not highway, I kept my speed at either 60mph or 50 mph. While the graph reflects my trip fairly accurately with stops, and changes in speed, peak speed looked ok and nice average lines, the speed graph showed I was going ~50mph at 60, and 40mph at 50.

So either my speedo is way off (possible), or my the app is way off. If it's my speedo, then the app still falls short, as the peak speed shown (which seems right from my trip) is not even shown on the graph! There is simply too much data from a 45 min trip to fit on one screen!

Strange, since other GPS speed apps I've used look very reliable while in a car and comparing.

I will be trying Smart Speed next, and see how that compares.

Comment

GPSes are usually accurate to a fraction of a mile per hour. This depends on the number of satellites used to triangulate your position, so maybe you were in a low reception area. However, the speed is usually dead-on. Your speedo is probably way off. I would recommend you take it for a drive in a car and check the app while driving, and then compare to the data it records during a ride. Motorcycle speedos are notoriously inaccurate while car speedos are much less so these days.
                          http://www.envyplayer.com/13.mp4 for sale with lots of parts

Comment

Yup . My Kat speedo is way off. In car 4 apps all accurate. So, what can I do about bike speedo?

Comment

Speedo Healer
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X