X
X

Kat vs SV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had both and would get the SV1K. The SV engines are pretty bullet proof and when you do need something SVriders.com either has a wrietup on how to do it or there is a member up the street to help out. Outside of the Kat it is the only suzuki model that has a forum like this with the membership to go out of their way that I know of. GSXr and Busas are iffy...

If you are new to bikes however stay the hell away from the SV1K. It is a wheelie machine and the low end will spin out the rear fairly easily. I found it to be perhaps the most comfortable sport bike I have riden but it does pale to the Katana in terms of long ride comfort. (take comfort tips from me lightly as I ride a Daytona 675 which is a torture rack accoridng to others and I had no problem doing 10+ hours on it...)

SV1K parts are pretty frequently found out there and easily done if you ask me. I never had to get into my engine on mine as it was new (leftover model that was crated for 4 years) but all said I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even an abused SV is still pretty hard to do much to. The engines just keep on ticking which is why they are tracked so often. Just cant destroy those motors.
    I am a Penn State fanatic.
    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

As one who moved up from a 750 Kat to a ZZR1200, I agree with and applaud Andy's (Soulpatch) post. If you are used to riding, you will enjoy the tremendous power, but liter bikes will spin out with quick twists of the throttle, so be aware of that. I'd go with the SV, that is if it feels natural.
      Good job, Andy.
      Last edited by zuma; 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I have owned both, and would grab that sv in a heartbeat. More useable torque down low, and just a blast to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
          Ask JHILDE, he's had both a Kat and a SV1000.
          I had an 01 Kat 750 and now a 2003 SV1k. I will never go back to the Kat. I'm 5'11", 200 lbs, wear a 34" inseam, and have had an ACL replaced in my left knee. I don't have any comfort issues other than the seat is hard after a few hundred miles. My girlfriend has a 2006 SV650n that I have ridden and then converted it to clip-ons. I would take any of the FI SV's over the Kat.

Originally posted by edromero View Post
          I loved my sv1000...but now I'm back to the kat. Katana wins for comfort...but based on the mileage alone, I would go with the kat. For 1900, you run a pretty good chance of buying a bike that will need a lot of work in the near future (if not right away)

On the other hand, a katana in very good condition can be had for around 2000.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think the 03 model was the last year before thy went to the new sv1000 with lighter crank and more rev. In other words, the 04 and on models were the more desirable ones
          The 03 has the higher sub-frame, there are some non rebuild-able forks in the later models. The HP difference is negligible. Wheeler pulled 10hp out of mine with a K&N, airbox mod, and some dyno time. Lots smoother afterward too.

JHILDE
          Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. still haven't bought one yet( you know how it goes save $1 and life spends 2) but im falling in love with the SV. As for experience I have 7k miles of daily riding under my belt.
            94 kat 600 RIP
            97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

If I were you I would try and ride both of them and take them for a decent ride and get a feel and decide which one you like better but like soulpatch and zuma said SV1s are light and powerful I was thinking of getting one and kept popping the front up and didnt even mean for it half the time and decided against it . You have to decide what you feel safer and more comfortable on. Just my .02 and good luck

Comment

7K miles is about one season. You better be DAMN sure you are a skilled rider before you decide on the SV1K. Personally I think you would be better suited to look for an SV650. The 1K will lift the front end constantly and whip out the back end at will.

Comment

The more I hear about the sv650 the more I want one. Great low end power, a million after market accessories, cheap used and easy to fix. Probably my next bike.

Comment

I was looking for an SV650 for months while I was in the market for my first bike. My older brother's first bike was an SV650 as well, and man o man was it nice. The twins' are great and lots of fun. Honestly I still think I'd rather be sitting on an SV650...but alas I found my Kat for such a great deal....definitely don't regret my purchase. Over all though after trying several other twins' and other inline-4s as well.....I'm lookin for a twin of my own. Hopefully soon....so if it were up to me and I could choose between the two....I'd go for the SV650 for sure. It has just as much if not a bigger following than the Katana, spare parts are plentiful, it's very customizable, looks super sexy, and has all that torquey goodness!
                    2001 GSX600F

Comment

I have owned few different SV650's, most of them carb-ed versions, for the amount they cost, you can't really find better value for VTwins.

Even owned a Gladius back in 2009-2010, that bike sorted out lots of handling and FI abruptness of the FI SV650s.

Then went back the carbed SV650s, his and hers:

The FI version SV's just don't ride as smooth, handling always seem off in comparison to the carb-ed version; that includes the SV1000. Honda Superhawk is a better handling bike than the SV1000. I have owned a couple of those, too.

Comment

if i had a choice between a sv650 or a kat id pick the kat hands down my brother in law had an 06 sv650 i rode half a day the sv got nothing on the kat for power or handling a 650 not a 1000 but niether is a kat it like comparing apples to oranges its all what you are into i guess
                        when in doubt power out sally!!!!

Comment

SV650s are just miserably slow. I've owned a lot of twins and I love them but they can't touch a 4 cylinder on the big end. Two giant cylinders makes a lot of toque at low rpms, they die out quickly over 6k though. My last Harley was a monster in drag race but after 120 it had nothing left. 1600ccs that got spanked by 600s after 80mph. My favorite sound is the Triumph triples, but I love a big lopey twin.

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
                            The FI version SV's just don't ride as smooth, handling always seem off in comparison to the carb-ed version; that includes the SV1000. Honda Superhawk is a better handling bike than the SV1000. I have owned a couple of those, too.
                            The FI abruptnes smoothed right out after a teca tune and smart tre. I still need to add one on the 650.

Originally posted by chevyman82 View Post
                            if i had a choice between a sv650 or a kat id pick the kat hands down my brother in law had an 06 sv650 i rode half a day the sv got nothing on the kat for power or handling a 650 not a 1000 but niether is a kat it like comparing apples to oranges its all what you are into i guess
                            A period or two would help but... The SV will walk away from the Kat and has more usable power/tourque for the street. Another thing to think of is the aerodynamics if the SV was naked. I've had a post 750 and now have a post SV650 and SV1000 (650 naked/1000 with 1/2 faring).

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
                            Two giant cylinders makes a lot of toque at low rpms, they die out quickly over 6k though.
                            Maybe on the 650's but the 1000 wants to run out from under you and stretch your arms when the HP starts taking over from about 6-11k.
                            Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

A 1000 V-twin will never keep up with a 1000 inline 4. Sport bikes rely on RPMs, a twin can't run the revs that an inline can. Its why Harley use twins on big cruisers and sport bikes don't. A big twin makes 4 times the torque at a quarter the revs. The trade off is it makes less horsepower and can't hit the RPMs needed for 200mph superbikes. Cruisers don't need that power or speed. My big twin Harley(1600cc) got much better fuel economy than even my Kat 600. It chopped along under 3k rpms at 75mph. Different engines in different bikes for different reasons.

A simple way to look at it is like this:

TL1000R V-Twin - 135hp, 168mph, 1/4 mile in 11 seconds.
                              Honda RC51 - 136hp, 1/4 in 10.7 seconds.

CBR1000 - 177hp, 191mph
                              GSXR1000 - 191hp, 200+mph

Another thing is how its tuned. My new ZRX1200R will blister a ZX12R from 0-140. After that the ZX12R runs away from the Z-Rex. They have the same engine, different cams and gearing.
                              Last edited by Tempted; 06-23-2013, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chevyman82 View Post

An SV650 will out handle a Kat and out power it in any situation whether that be low sped or high speed.

SV650s are just miserably slow. I've owned a lot of twins and I love them but they can't touch a 4 cylinder on the big end. Two giant cylinders makes a lot of toque at low rpms, they die out quickly over 6k though. My last Harley was a monster in drag race but after 120 it had nothing left. 1600ccs that got spanked by 600s after 80mph. My favorite sound is the Triumph triples, but I love a big lopey twin.

sounds like your twin experience is with horrible Harleys. no where near fair comp to av650. sv will handle a 600 for the most part till higher speeds. I guess if you plan on roll ons from 80+ mph you would lose but there is a reason a 650 is a preferred track machine. it will outhandle and out pull a 600 every time. sure you might give up a bit of top end but that lack from 130 on is of no issue.

A 1000 V-twin will never keep up with a 1000 inline 4. Sport bikes rely on RPMs, a twin can't run the revs that an inline can. Its why Harley use twins on big cruisers and sport bikes don't. A big twin makes 4 times the torque at a quarter the revs. The trade off is it makes less horsepower and can't hit the RPMs needed for 200mph superbikes. Cruisers don't need that power or speed. My big twin Harley(1600cc) got much better fuel economy than even my Kat 600. It chopped along under 3k rpms at 75mph. Different engines in different bikes for different reasons.

A simple way to look at it is like this:

TL1000R V-Twin - 135hp, 168mph, 1/4 mile in 11 seconds.
                                Honda RC51 - 136hp, 1/4 in 10.7 seconds.

CBR1000 - 177hp, 191mph
                                GSXR1000 - 191hp, 200+mph

Another thing is how its tuned. My new ZRX1200R will blister a ZX12R from 0-140. After that the ZX12R runs away from the Z-Rex. They have the same engine, different cams and gearing.
                                You are comparing old V Twins to modern sport bikes which is not fair. A Aprillia RSV4 stomps other 1000 bikes in most instances and is a v twin. The second you even begin to put a Harley into your argument you lose credibility. Different engine for a different need. THey are looking for all around town usefulness which is what a vtwin offers since you can stay in a gear through multiple situations.

THe other thing you are missing out on is that a twin is better balanced for more usable power for both street and track. Rarely is there ever a situation where you care about 150+ stepping ability. Go to a drag and you are looking at a mile max so I guess you might care there but then you would still be n wrong type of machine with a GSXr 1000.

I step 1000 bikes all the time on my 675 which shares a ton of benefits of a v twin as I have balanced engine, torque, ect. Sure I lack top end of a inline but I stomp bikes constantly as many on here who have seen me at the track can attest since I can out handle them and am able to be full power a lot faster then they can due to the balance of my machine.
                                Last edited by soulpatch; 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X