Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Possible '99 Kat 600 project - need fork info.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible '99 Kat 600 project - need fork info.

Hi, new here. I'll do a full 'Introduction' if I happen to get this bike and stick around. Katanas are new to me, but I've been wrenching/riding an '81 Yamaha XJ750 for 17 years or so. I have a line on a hand-me-down project bike that needs new forks. The guy who has it got a set online a while ago, but the guy sent him wrong/different forks than advertised and then disappeared. He seems to think they're just the wrong year, but I don't know what year they might be.

My questions, if you fine people might point me in the right direction:

1) Any lead on a set of good forks that would be bolt-on replacements for a '99?

2) What year's forks would work on a '99 with no or minor mods?

3) If mods are required, what might they be? Fender mounts, brake mounts ???

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Originally posted by Oblivion View Post
    Hi, new here. I'll do a full 'Introduction' if I happen to get this bike and stick around. Katanas are new to me, but I've been wrenching/riding an '81 Yamaha XJ750 for 17 years or so. I have a line on a hand-me-down project bike that needs new forks. The guy who has it got a set online a while ago, but the guy sent him wrong/different forks than advertised and then disappeared. He seems to think they're just the wrong year, but I don't know what year they might be.

My questions, if you fine people might point me in the right direction:

1) Any lead on a set of good forks that would be bolt-on replacements for a '99?

2) What year's forks would work on a '99 with no or minor mods?

3) If mods are required, what might they be? Fender mounts, brake mounts ???

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Any forks 88-02 will be a direct swap in and work. The 03+ front end (entire thing) is a direct swap in, but the wheel/rotors/axle/ are different than yours, so not a good option for just forks alone. If you had a donor bike no problem.

I'd suggest 98-02 years as those are exact matches for your bike, but as mentioned... you can make the prior one's work simply enough.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for that info. If I get the bike, I'll pick up a shop manual for it, but this is a great start.

Comment

Working...
      X