X

old gsxr steering damper on post kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
    kwebbel had a damper on his bike. granted his rear was raised and his forks lowered and swaped for gsxr. but i think it's a good mod that personaly i may use as well... i have gsxr forks on and my rear is raised 2". every now and again at high speeds (over 100) it starts to get squirly. i can see me adding a damper to my bike after i get the bigger motor put in. and i would like to know where a good place would be to mout it to the frame.
    I'm not saying that i will have a damper cause if i ever need to use it then im speeding and my stablity problem can be solved by not speeding but it would be cool to see.
    now OP if your are trying to cover up stabiliy issues..... check your tires! but if not .... carry on.
    What shock do you have out back that lifted it up that much? B12?
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

yeah i have a B12 in back and 94 gsxr 750 forks in front. I also have the clip-ons for the gsxr so it lowers my reach which adds more weight to the front.

i think the only time i'd ever get any major stability problems would be when i'm braking hard from 115 mph down hill on a slighty bumby slightly curved road. that really doesn't happen that much.

yeah the mounting place for it wouldn't change because of my forks.
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

last night i did a quick mock up just to see where im at and there is alittle clearance problem. similar to the problems that the SV guys had running this damper the headlight bracket gets in the way a bit and rubs the damper. from what those guys did they just grinded off alittle bit off the bracket and it worked for them. how much i would have to grind off i have to look at really close before i start grinding. another little thing that gets in the way is one of the brake hoses. it only bearly touches though so i think i can loosen the hose and just twist it back tward the frame afew MM.

Comment

so today was going to be the big day. i had everything i needed and i went out to start work on it this morning. well i didnt get very far. long story short i had my triple tree powder coated last year and it went on really tight. after 2 hours of trying to get it off i still couldnt even get the clip ons off. my dumb a$$ even managed to chip the powder coat off in afew places off my new triple tree and clip ons in the process. so long story short this is going to take longer then i thought

Comment

ok im loosing it after afew tries i just cant get my clipons off. i havent even started to try this mod and i cant get past the first step. anyone have any suggestions on getting the clip ons off without chipping my poweder coat any more then i already have

Comment

Deadblow hammer or rubber mallet
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You might be able to use a gear puller and a socket to get the clipons off. Put the socket on the fork top to protect the adjuster. Getting the triple off might take more work, but the deadblow hammer probably will be your best friend.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the situation (pics would help alot) but what I think you have run into is... The forks won't slide down out of the tripples?

I don't have a set of post triples in front of me to look at, but I would think they are pretty similiar to the pre? Maybe? If so, removing the lock bolts entirely, and then using a simple wedge/hammer option should widen them enough to turn loose the forks.

Unless the paint has bonded/stuck to the forks on the inside due to preasure...

Then you might have use hammer to knock them loose. A large socket over the tops of them should give you a way of being able to do that without damaging them.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The way I read it, he wants to take the clip ons and the triple off the top, not slide the forks down out the bottom. I could be wrong though..... but that's the way I'd do it too.

EDIT- BTW, wtf are you still doing awake and answering questions at 1am?

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post

EDIT- BTW, wtf are you still doing awake and answering questions at 1am?
                      Accidental nap earlier, now having a hard time getting back to sleep.

93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ya im trying to pull the clipons and triple tree off the top so i can slid the mounting bracket down the fork to start the mod. so far i have tried a rubber hammer but its a hard angle to get a good wack. i can wiggle it back and forth but it just will not slide up the fork. when i took the old 750 clipons and triple off last year it wasnt too hard to do. but to get the 600s on it was really really tight. i actually had to use assembly lube to get them to go on. now i have shot myself in the foot i guess haha

Comment

i used a flat head and an alen wrench to pull them apart and old them apart a mm or 2.
                          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

i tried using a flat head to stick between the clip ons and the triple and pry up on it as i turn but it ended up chipping my powder coat on the under side (thank god) but has scared me out of trying that any more. still nothing working

Comment

You may need to wedge a screw driver into the triple clamps, well two of them.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Lazarus has arisen!

Holy ghost from the past, Batman!

Comment

Working...
                                X