X
X

old gsxr steering damper on post kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of my first few posts about the swinger mod I did....

I've lost count of how many PMs I get asking about that now.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thank you jokerzwild. that is why im trying it. because it hasnt been done. like he said if it works and actually does improve something then this should be a really cheap and easy setup. if it doesnt work in the end it might cost me 40 bucks and some time. the reason i was asking about this was to see if someone had done it yet and could tell me any pros or cons and anything i might need to know. the SVriders seem to do this mod alot but of course this is not a Kat so things may be different. i do plan on trying this, so despite the reaction im getting i will try it and i will let you guys know how it comes out

Comment

Originally posted by Miyagi View Post
        thank you jokerzwild. that is why im trying it. because it hasnt been done. like he said if it works and actually does improve something then this should be a really cheap and easy setup. if it doesnt work in the end it might cost me 40 bucks and some time. the reason i was asking about this was to see if someone had done it yet and could tell me any pros or cons and anything i might need to know. the SVriders seem to do this mod alot but of course this is not a Kat so things may be different. i do plan on trying this, so despite the reaction im getting i will try it and i will let you guys know how it comes out

Go ahead bro Pioneer that mod. Im behind ya 100% PLease keep me informed of your progress.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Reminds me of my first few posts about the swinger mod I did....

I've lost count of how many PMs I get asking about that now.

Krey

Funny how they all came around huh? Now you got requests out the azz! Me being one of them
        Last edited by JokerZwild; 11-24-2009, 06:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I'm with OP, too many flamers!
          I invite you to church.

Comment

Sheesh make a post and I become a flamer, Anyway the OP stated he wanted extra stability, How many have issues with front end stability on the kat? Unless you lower the front and create some funky geometry or have front end issues it will be stable. I am not one to knock any mod, But to try and fix a stability issue or add more stability when something else is the issue is not the correct approach. Fix what is wrong. If the forks were brought up into the tree take them back out and your stability will improve. We had a discussion about this very subject in the RT seminar and how riders make a change and then try to compensate for that change with yet another change. Is that really the best approach? If you want the added stability pull the fork tubes out of the tree another 1/8" and try that.

Tmod

Comment

Tmod, Hey bro it is what it is. Im just sayin look were all exploring the possibilities of the featured bike on the forum. As long as I have been here everyone has been as helpful as I could ever ask. But this poor guy is taking the envelope and trying to push it a weee bit further with something that has repeatedly been said cant/shouldnt or should not be done. I say DO it! Try it! If it doesnt work fine, but at least he has the ballz to give it a shot. Im sick of people trying to be the "Supremeknow it alls"on the subject and laughing about other peoples ideas when in fact they have noooo clue as to wether or not its actually gonna work.

Take KREY'S swingarm for example.... the idea of throwing a wide 180 tire on the back amuses most on here but the guy came up with a great idea/solution that a ton of folks are asking about. So who knows this might be the next chapter in the upgrade book. So give him the chance to prove it. History has proven that people can be wrong (the world was flat once remember?)
              Last edited by JokerZwild; 11-25-2009, 03:45 AM.
              Joker
              The newest addition to the Family!
              sigpic
              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by Miyagi View Post
                ok well this entire thread has gone exactly where every thread that i have seen on steering dampers on a kat went.

That's why I stated what I said in my first post. I knew where it could go, so I posted that if you do, give us pics. And you did.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Hmmm

I would add a steering damper.. No I would...
                  *I would make sure it was completely visible.
                  *I would be sure it didn't damp anything..

They look cool..

Comment

Spedee had one on his kat, which we all know was probably one of the most heavily modded bikes on the forum. If it helped him with anything geometry or handling wise, I really don't recall him saying one way or the other.

As for my personal experience, the only time I encountered headshake was when my bike was lowered. I've done plenty of aggressive riding including trackdays on the ill-handling stock suspension and never really felt I needed one. Would i tell a difference with one on there? No clue, guess you'll have to show us how to bolt one up so I can try it and report back.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Im not going to comment on if you need it or not since I no longer own a Kat, but if you find out you need one and dont have one, it's probably too late to get one.

I spend most of my time riding on the track so the geometry has been adjusted accordingly.

Here's how mine is attached on my SV. Same concept should apply for the Kat with different measurements.

Comment

just bought all the parts needed. cost me about 40 bucks. just have to build that bracket for the frame and bolt it on. its cold as hell out here in RI but im hoping to get this together in the next week or so and still be able to get out for atleast one ride to see how it does

Comment

I say go for the mod. Who cares what anyone else thinks, it's your bike. Modding is about changing it to fit your tastes and needs.
                          Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

parts are all in. so here is what it has cost me so far:

89 gsxr 1100 steering damper mount- $20
                            05 gsxr 600 damper- $8
                            metal i picked up at home depot- $3

i need to cut the metal to the size i want it and drill the holes but its pretty much all here i just need to take off my triple and get started

Comment

kwebbel had a damper on his bike. granted his rear was raised and his forks lowered and swaped for gsxr. but i think it's a good mod that personaly i may use as well... i have gsxr forks on and my rear is raised 2". every now and again at high speeds (over 100) it starts to get squirly. i can see me adding a damper to my bike after i get the bigger motor put in. and i would like to know where a good place would be to mout it to the frame.
                              I'm not saying that i will have a damper cause if i ever need to use it then im speeding and my stablity problem can be solved by not speeding but it would be cool to see.
                              now OP if your are trying to cover up stabiliy issues..... check your tires! but if not .... carry on.
                              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                              Tony
                              94 Katana 600

Comment

as far as where to mount it to your frame look back one page and that is the setup atleast im going to try. im sure even with the gsxr front forks it should still work for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X