X

Nuetralzing Battery Acid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuetralzing Battery Acid

From a new battery. It says dispose of properly. Can I put baking soda in it and then toss it in the dumpster?

Hit recycling followed by your local area in google and it should pop up some good places.
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

You'd need a WHOLE bunch of baking soda! Try talking to your local dealer or parts store. They've probably got arrangements in place to take care of it.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Some places even give a few $ off the new one.
        2004 GSX750F

Comment

My local county waste disposal will take hazardous materials, like batteries, for free.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I've done the baking soda thing in the past. Its a major pain, takes a bunch, and puts out hydrogen gas. It does work.

Last time I bought a battery, I took the remaining acid back to where I bought the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisx2 View Post
              Some places even give a few $ off the new one.
              I got $15 at walmart
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you have battery acid left over from a brand new battery, and it's a re-sealable container, keep it. Someone around here will need it sooner or later.

On the other hand, if you need to be rid of it (unsealable container, etc), any battery store should be able to take it; ditto most garages, and all battery distributors...

The question I have is how did you end up with excess? Normally, new batteries are shipped either pre-filled, or with just the right amount (did you "burp" the battery afterwards?)...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

most garages will take it for its scrap value (lead)
                  most will take it themselve or have someone that will pick it up
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    If you have battery acid left over from a brand new battery, and it's a re-sealable container, keep it. Someone around here will need it sooner or later.

On the other hand, if you need to be rid of it (unsealable container, etc), any battery store should be able to take it; ditto most garages, and all battery distributors...

The question I have is how did you end up with excess? Normally, new batteries are shipped either pre-filled, or with just the right amount (did you "burp" the battery afterwards?)...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

I had to fill it obviously thats why I had left overs. The Battery was burped to make sure it was filled at the correct level. I just had some left over. Since I have a shop, I think I will keep it as you suggested so someone (locally) might be able to use it if they need it.

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                      most garages will take it for its scrap value (lead)
                      most will take it themselve or have someone that will pick it up

thre's NO LEAD in the extra acid that didn't get added to the battery.
                      KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Comment

I think hes refering to the lead plates in batteries, not the acid itsself.
                          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by fixer View Post
                            thre's NO LEAD in the extra acid that didn't get added to the battery.

oops , i would hold onto the extra acid for top ups
                            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                            X