X

Flat Tire Repair

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Tire Repair

What do you recommend for repairing flat tires "on the road". The kits with air cartridge and plugs? Any recommendations welcome, even if it goes against what the "experts" say......
    "The internet has the best and the worst..."

get a new tire. a good plug will hold, but don't trust your life with it
    myspace
    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I think he means an 'on the side of the road' repair when riding. Unless he plans on taking off the tire and walking it to the nearest shop.

I want to keep an eye on this thread to, I need to pick up a repair kit (that's hopefully small) to keep with me on my Kat.

Comment

plug is a quick fix ,but not a perm fix
        if you have to , plug it and get a new tire asap imho
        BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by active1951 View Post
          What do you recommend for repairing flat tires "on the road". The kits with air cartridge and plugs? Any recommendations welcome, even if it goes against what the "experts" say......
          Wow, thought I made this clear, but again I am talking about a temporary EMERGENCY fix.
          "The internet has the best and the worst..."

Comment

I carry plugs with me, and must confess that I've kept a tire for long periods with a plug. I once bought a bike, rode it for 6 months before selling it and the seller later told me the front tire had 7 plugs. I'm not advocating that having plugs for a long term is good, but it does happen.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by active1951 View Post
              Wow, thought I made this clear, but again I am talking about a temporary EMERGENCY fix.
              sorry, I read it a little to fast to see "on the road" emergency. I'm not really sure about a quick fix, but don't know if I would trust any. not sure how "fix-a-flat" would work on a bike tire.

Originally posted by zuma View Post
              I carry plugs with me, and must confess that I've kept a tire for long periods with a plug. I once bought a bike, rode it for 6 months before selling it and the seller later told me the front tire had 7 plugs. I'm not advocating that having plugs for a long term is good, but it does happen.
              If you carry plugs with you, how do you air up your tire?
              Last edited by Mat0302; 05-23-2008, 07:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              myspace
              2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I once read a magazine review on the SV1000S. The reviewer got a rear tire flat (or slow leak) and used crazy/super glue to fix it to get him back to the shop to replace the tire. He went on to describe that he inserted the tip as far as possible, squeezed the glue out while rotating, then slowly pulling out, filling the hole on the way out. Let it set. I do not recall if he had to fill with air or not and how much, but he did mention that with the 4-way flashers on, he rode slowly along the paved shoulder back to the shop.

For air, they sell compact bicycle pumps that would fit under the seat, or you could use those disposable CO2 cartriges.
                2004 GSX750F

Comment

I have heard good things about these: http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp , but I haven't used them myself.

As to air, I wouldn't want to have to depend on CO2 cartridges, as when I have depended on them, I always seem to come up short at least one cartridge when I need them. A quick trip to the local bicycle shop for a mountain bike pump (You definitely want one designed for a mountain bike unless you are looking for Popeye forearms, and have lots of time. The mountain bike pumps are designed for for high volume/low pressure, so they tend to work better for our needs.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I have used the co2 cartridges. As I recall, two cartridges will put enough air in the tire to get you rolling, but definitely not racing down the road, until you can get more air.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Wal-Mart has a small foot operated pump made by Campbell-Hausefield I think...its a little clunky but would fit in a tankbag/tailbag easy. Carry some good quality plugs and a good tube of rubber cement and you should be good to go.
                      “What you own is your own kingdom
                      What you do is your own glory
                      What you love is your own power
                      What you live is your own story” -Niel Peart

Comment

I have used fix-a-flat in a pinch. Turned a fast leak into a very slow leak until I scraped the cash together for new tires.
                        If you truly want to be different...just be yourself.

If you can't stand the heat...become a cop
                        FIREFIGHTERS RULE

Comment

Great stuff here. I am getting ready for a long trip and will heed your advice.
                          What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

I use standard auto-store plug strips ($7 - $12 for the kit, including the tools & strips). My only issue is that the strips don't tend to last in the Florida heat when stored under the seat, so I've gotten caught out a couple times having to get another rider to run to the closest auto parts store and grab me another kit.

As for pumping it back up, I typically carry a combination CO2 and hand-pump bicycle pump strapped to the outside of the frame rails under the tail fairings (i.e. - directly under the seat, not the luggage rails that have the extra helmet lock). Second Wind brand from Genuine Innovations; it's only about 6" long when folded up & comes with a bracket that you can connect to the frame rail.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber, All, thanks again. I bought a patch kit--has brass-tipped plugs, and says it is okay for motorcyles and ATVs. Plugs only round holes (small ones). Also got the CO2 inflation device and some extra cartridges.
                              What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X