Rear tire sizes.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tire sizes.

Hi again,

had a look at the rear tire today, there looks like room for a 160......is anyone running a 160?

Rocco

yeah...160 will fit no problem...but truth be told...bike turns better on 150

Comment

Originally posted by Range
      yeah...160 will fit no problem...but truth be told...bike turns better on 150
      +1

pre-98: do NOT run a 160 on the OEM rear wheel. It's too wide a tire to use safely on the narrow rim.

98+: you can run a 160/60 in place of the 150/70, but it won't handle as well as the same manufacturer's tire in a 150/70. Brand/type of tire is more critical to handling/grip than the size difference. Whatever tire you go for, make sure it is weight and speed rated for the Kat. Current preference for most is Metzeler Z6 in a 150/70ZR17 (actually measures out to 159/61ZR17 on a 4.5" Kat rim when mounted) or the almost identical Pirelli Diablo Stradas in a 150/70ZR17 (basically the same tire, same plant; the Z6 gets 5 grooves for each 4 on the Stradas).

There's a lot of tire info in the tire forum.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ive been running a 160/60 on my pre 98 for 10 years or so and never had a problem..Metzlers,Michelins and now Avon...I find it turns and handles alot better than when I ran the stock 150..

Comment

Rolling

Stock

Section

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
            Rolling

Stock

Section
            Who do you think you are??? A MOD?

Comment

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
              Ive been running a 160/60 on my pre 98 for 10 years or so and never had a problem..Metzlers,Michelins and now Avon...I find it turns and handles alot better than when I ran the stock 150..
              But can you get to the edge of them? If not then you are waisting tire and creating an unused cushion that makes for funky handling.
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

To get to the edge of a 160 on my 750, I would have had to been scraping my frame on the ground.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I have a 160 on my 600 and I have like ¼ inch left on each side. I can’t go any further because I am on the edge of my front tire both sides. I figure it will wash out if I go further.
                  sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
                  A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

With the OEM sized Z6's on all around, I can get to the edge of the rear, but not the front... which is just fine by me

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                      But can you get to the edge of them? If not then you are waisting tire and creating an unused cushion that makes for funky handling.
                      I do get damn close at times an eighth inch or so..I do see the point of the 150 stocker but it feels to me to be flat and when you get to the edge it fights back...I'd rather have a little room left on the tire then none at all...I also run a 110/70 on the front a bit lower profile...It just to me handles alot nicer....different strokes I guess..

Comment

I also run a 110/70 on the front a bit lower profile
                        Just be careful -- a lot of manufacturer's 110/70 are not weight-rated for the Kats. Everyone else: double-check before you buy & mount anything (period).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X