X

91' Kat600 Exhaust Swap to 03' Stock Exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91' Kat600 Exhaust Swap to 03' Stock Exhaust

The previous owner of my Katana installed a Vance and Hines SS2R. Now before you guys think I am crazy I will say this... There was no tip, no baffle, no packing multiple holes and the mid-pipe and headers were severely rusted. I at some point broke the midpipe at the spot where it met the headers. One of the most annoying things was that even when I made a custom baffle and installed packing for the slip on it was unreasonably loud. It was a mix between a a fart can attached to a honda civic at high RPM and low and deep (in a good sort of way) at idle. I am a commuter and I often may get home at 3 am and leave at 6 am. I used to push it to the end of the block to start it in the morning.

I bought a stock 03' Katana 600 exhaust for $35... BEFORE I asked for advice from members.

I was told to buy an oil pan from a newer modle to deal with the clearance issue. Someone had also mentioned that I could "dent" the header a little bit. To sum up I got impatient after looking for a cheap oil pan and decided to use the frugal method.I used mapp gas and a hammer to lightly dent the top of the headers then I used the di-grinder to lightly grind down seam of the weld until I became flush with the height of the non concave section.

It took some time and messing around to see that the headers were resting all the way inside the manifold. I can honestly say it is now almost too quiet lol. I feel like I lost some power, but it idles really well now and is amazingly smooth now. I will trade stability with quiet over extra power...

The images have a high resolution if you click on it in the gallery.

Last edited by .408cheytac; 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM.

Now I can change the oil without dripping it all over the exhaust pipe!

Comment

Look good
      And Is it your heatgrip ? and why dont you connect it to the battery + on/off switch for more convenient ?

Comment

Forgot one Picture
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X