X

Pills for everything these days...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pills for everything these days...

Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

i bought those once, put me in the hospital..... DONT EAT THEM!

no seriously, i see a few flaws, besides the general flaw (its a pill to improve power and milage??? wtf?)..

#1 a 500cc 2 cylinder 2 stroke is soooo different in sooo many ways than the modern metric motors. at 11,000rpms, the 2 stroke is firing twice as many times....so while it may get 7more hp at that rpm.... our modern engines may get half of that?

#2, 10 pills = 10 tanks. 1 pill per 2.5 gallons? wth kinda logic is that? who has a 2.5 gallon tank.

the only thing i can figure is that the pill, other than for the cleaning purposes, contains tetraethyl lead to boost octane possibly, or is an oxidizer. otherwise, i dont know what else it would do.

Comment

Originally posted by jason05
      the only thing i can figure is that the pill, other than for the cleaning purposes, contains tetraethyl lead to boost octane possibly, or is an oxidizer. otherwise, i dont know what else it would do.
      Tetraethyl lead is lead carried in a tetraethylene carrier, as in leaded gasolines. It acts as a known predetonation/preignition agent (minorly; in part by coating over carbon/sulfated-ash build-up, reducing its likeliness to heat-detonate the fuel-air mix prematurely if you have excess carbon build-up, plus permitting higher compression ratios without predetonation). The lead also builds up in scratches and around valves, helping seal the combustion chamber better, while remaining soft enough not to cause damage by excess build-up on engines designed to use leaded fuels.
      The downsides would be (at least in theory) the exact same as running leaded fuels -- environmental concerns (known carcinogenic), clogged/ruined catalytic converters on engines that use them (lead coats the platinum and keeps it from functioning), and lead-build-up in engines NOT designed specifically to run leaded fuels (including in pump & injector systems in some injected engines). I don't know if the 88 - 97 Kats were designed to work with leaded fuels or not; I know the 98+ models are specifically designed for unleaded fuel in all markets.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sorry , I'm callin BS . ESPECIALLY after reading an article in last months Roadbike about gasoline additives entitled "Snake Oil" . A couple companies got sued trying to pull crap like this .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

So I would have to use two pills per tank.

I like the thought of it increasing my horsepower but since I use 93 octane horsepower is not a problem.

I think I would rather run 4 gallons of 93 octane to 1 gallon of racing fuel, I am sure it will all burn, increase horsepower and get me down the road faster, I do not think it will increase mpg unless I want to *cough cough* putt around at low speeds.
          I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Considering the combustion of gasoline fuel is generally over 98% for most vehicles, I'm not sure how you can get significant fuel mileage or performance benefit. It might at best clean up the exhaust fumes.
            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I believe it is just another marketing crap, and I am sure there are some idiots who are buying it. Just like the work-from-home TV adds, and people have a goal of making 40K a month working few hours a day.

Originally posted by GSX1100FL

I like the thought of it increasing my horsepower but since I use 93 octane horsepower is not a problem.

I think I would rather run 4 gallons of 93 octane to 1 gallon of racing fuel, I am sure it will all burn, increase horsepower and get me down the road faster, I do not think it will increase mpg unless I want to *cough cough* putt around at low speeds.
              Higher octane doesn't translate into more power.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
                Considering the combustion of gasoline fuel is generally over 98% for most vehicles, I'm not sure how you can get significant fuel mileage or performance benefit. It might at best clean up the exhaust fumes.
                98%? is that true? thats amazing. i read somewhere that it was much lower. or maybe im thinkin about the fact that only 20% of the energy released from combustion is actually used, the rest is wasted as heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
                  Originally posted by jason05
                  98%? is that true? thats amazing. i read somewhere that it was much lower. or maybe im thinkin about the fact that only 20% of the energy released from combustion is actually used, the rest is wasted as heat.
                  You two are talking about 2 different things. Kat-a-Tonic is saying 98% of the gas that makes it into the engine burns away during combustion or in the exhaust pipes (before the exhaust gases emerge). What you (Jason) are talking about is where the power from that gasoline exploding goes... and yes, about 50% of the energy from the combustion is converted to heat that gets radiated away...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Higher octane does NOT = higher horsepower

Don't think for a second that higher octane will get you more horsies unless your engine is modded.

The octane rating is a number that represents a point of compression at which the gasoline will spontaneously ignite.

Your engine needs a given octane to perform at peak, higher octane than that will yeild little to no benefit. Actually, if the octane rating is too high, you will spill a small amount into your exhaust.

98+ Kats need minimum 87, anything else is just making OPEC happy.

Carl-
                    "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE1000
                      Originally posted by GSX1100FL

Higher octane doesn't translate into more power.
                      I know, it makes as much sense as the pills.
                      Just pulling out some of the old time bs on what makes hp.
                      I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Working...
                      X