X

Weight loss tricks for Katanas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss tricks for Katanas?

I know it is hard to shed pounds from a Kat, but what has everyone done in an attempt to do so? I put the remains of my shovel chop and front and rear reflectors on a scale and they were good for a pound or so.

this was done on my 99 kat 600...
    I put on a full hindle exhaust /carbon fiber can.
    removed centerstand
    flushmounted rear signals
    replaced aluminum heel guards with real CF guards.
    removed rear fender
    520 chain conversion
    removed helmet bars

very highly contemplating cybers ohlins shock, wonder if its any lighter? or heavier?

as far as weight reduction, guess the last step is on myself, id like to drop down to like 160 again (loose like 15 lbs)...

lol... lightweight rims would be the only other thing i could think of, but its not woth it just for that....
    99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

Aftermarket exhausts really do drop a bit of weight. So does the centerstand. If I get serious about just drag racing my bike, I'll be cutting off the back of the subframe, removing the rear brake, and maybe one of the fronts.

As far as street friendly stuff, I can't find anything to add to Bulletproof's list.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I would suggest a low fat diet for the Kat Don't put oil in it , it's heavy !
        LOL
        W.
        WittyMonkey
        ----------------------------------
        www.bostontechnologies.com

Comment

I don't think there is too many things you can do for weight reduction other than what has been listed.

The biggest factor, honestly, would be your own body weight IMHO. Since you site on top of the bike your body weight would have a large affect on handling. Plus its much cheaper to go on a diet and exercise than it is to blow hundreds of dollars on carbon fiber and titanium parts. (not to mention healthier)
          I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
          http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

I wouldn't risk removing one of your front brakes, espcially when draggin, you are having to stop in a short distance from a high speed. Also, the back break really does help you stop, I would think that would be a big no-no. As for shedding weight, maybe we can get someone to fab up a aluminum frame.....
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

ever try to stop a bike with just one front brake? same effect as a car with just one front brake....it will pull you to the side the brake is on. not as bad as a car....cuz of just one wheel and not much distance between the 2...but it pulls none the less. good luck with that. you won't stop for shit like that. I wouldn't advise it. You would be better off to cough up the dough for lightweight rotors if you are going to that extreme.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Maybe remove all brakes all together and just get one of them parachutes to stop.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

The cost to undertake effective weight reduction would hardly be worth the effort.

Buy a supersport.

Buc
                  it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
                    Aftermarket exhausts really do drop a bit of weight. So does the centerstand. If I get serious about just drag racing my bike, I'll be cutting off the back of the subframe, removing the rear brake, and maybe one of the fronts.

As far as street friendly stuff, I can't find anything to add to Bulletproof's list.
                    You can't be serious. What, you save maybe 1 pound removing one of the front brakes and lose stability and half of the stopping power???

I think the Kat is basically un-dietable! Its a very simple bike and most of what is in there serves a purpose. Anyway, most of the weight comes from the frame and the engine.

When I get my own house with a nice garage, one of my first projects will be to build an AL frame for one of the heavy weight old tech bikes. I'd love to have a lightweight EX500, can think of a better commuter than that little bugger.
                    And maybe an AL frame for a Katana 750, with a bandit 1200 motor, talk about a sleeper...
                    Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

Wow!!! I'm finally a chicken strip!!! (hate post-whoring, but had to!)
                      Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

I think its better to go in the opposite direction and think larger not smaller. Put a bigger engine in it. I would not cut the breaks out of it though.
                        Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Bigger engine... Like a Gixxer 1100 maybe??????
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

OK, for all of you pouring your Haterade all over me...... Lots of bikes come with just one front rotor, and they still stop fine. Drag strips have a REALLY long shut of area...... remember, the 240mph top fuel bikes stop up there, too. Gixxer1100's that go full drag often take one rotor/caliper off... Search ebay for them, you're bound to see a couple. I don't use my rear brake anyway. I know it's squidly and all, but I have a lead foot and lock up the rear too often, so I just don't use it. That and my rotor is badly grooved. And this is not if I'm still riding the thing to work, only if I go full drag with it! That would be..... Big engine, dropped to the ground, geared way down...... I may still ride to and from the track (about 2-3 miles) but that's it. And so you know, the back brake idea was given to me by a friend of mine doing mid 9's at the strip. He said you can immediately feel a difference, and see it in your times by just taking off the back brake. Once again, this is for a drag bike, DRAG BIKE, not a commuter.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I'm not pouring hatred, I'm just saying is all. Just hate to see a person take a tumble when and if it could be prevented.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X