X
X

All About Chains

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it's been about 800 miles and no streching, no slapping of any kind. The rear sprocket is still riding in the middle of the chain.

I did have the auto oiler on there. I took it off in a rage since the Dealership screwed up..
    Someone mentioned using a chain wax. Any thoughts??
    If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

Oil beats wax for chain life. Wax holds debris to the chain and stops being a good lube for roller-on-sprocket-tooth after less than a 100 miles. Oil flings, carries debris with it -- bad for beauty, good for total lifespan.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just read this article and learned alot. Wow thumbs up. I have alot to do today and check for.
        When life has you by the balls. Grab life by the horns. DON'T BE AFRAID TO LET ER' BUCK!!!

Comment

thanks for the help. i always know when i have a question about my kat you guys will have the answer ^^

Comment

great post, i was about to lube my chain and now I am definitely using the kind you recommended.

Comment

Great post. I really need to adjust my chain tension because I have about 1 1/2 inches of up and down play on mine. I just got the bike and I kinda had a feeling the chain had way too much slack in it. It also looks extremely dry so I am going to go pick up some chain oil. Thankfully the sprocket and chain look to be in really good shape at least.

Comment

Pre750 calls for 1.2"-1.5" of slack ( the way you check is sitting on the thing with it off the stand supposedly ) . On the loose side is easier on the chain/sprockets . Dry ain't great . The issue of lube/cleaners have started fistfights . Personally I been going with the Home Depot (only place I can find it ) Teflon multi-use cleaner/lube . Chain looks pretty with this stuff . YMMV ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks for the info MD86. I would have tightened it too much. I'll make sure I only have between 1.2-1.5 inches of slack. Thanks again!

Comment

My chain is horribly worn. It is the original chain and sprocket on my 91 and its got 28k miles on it. When I got the bike it was adjusted all the way back and even so if I squeze the bottom and the top of the chain together it touches the trailing arm on both sides. I was thinking of upgrading to a 520 or 525 chain and sprockets, any suggestions on if this is a good idea or should I keep 530 sprockets? Either way I am planning to go with a 15/42 combo or a 16/45 combo so I can drop my rpms when I'm commuting to work 80 miles a day at 75-85mph

Comment

Originally posted by 91GSX750 View Post
                      My chain is horribly worn. It is the original chain and sprocket on my 91 and its got 28k miles on it. When I got the bike it was adjusted all the way back and even so if I squeze the bottom and the top of the chain together it touches the trailing arm on both sides. I was thinking of upgrading to a 520 or 525 chain and sprockets, any suggestions on if this is a good idea or should I keep 530 sprockets? Either way I am planning to go with a 15/42 combo or a 16/45 combo so I can drop my rpms when I'm commuting to work 80 miles a day at 75-85mph

If you want to change to the 520 or 525 just because you want it, that is ok, but if you want to do it for weight savings.... don't waste your time.
                      Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

ps: going from a stock 530 to 520 / 525 is not an upgrade but a new chain is called for. absolutely. Id go for another 530. its the tank...
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Chain and sprockets should be replaced as a set.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by menteerd
                            so, im a new idiot to join this conversation,...on ebay im seeing chains going for 35$...is this stupid and cheap? or a good buy?
                            it all depends on what you expect from it. if you plan on doing a lot of touring or horsing around, then it is likely junk and will fail on you before too long. but if you only commute to work and school and don't beat on it too much, it might last you a couple to three years.

it all boils down to "you get what you pay for".
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

definitely change it. you will have people telling you that you should change the sprockets as well, and that is their opinion and they have a right to it....and I WILL NOT say it is wrong to do so, because aside from just spending more money, it can't be wrong. (that is my disclaimer solely to avoid argument with those who disagree) but if it is your first bike, and the sprockets appear good...and you are only commuting a short distance and riding locally....well I see no problem at all with keeping the same sprocket. . this way here if you happen to have a "mishap" while learning...because 99.9% of those who say you need to change the sprockets too, also believe that all new riders will dump their bike.....so why dump a lot of money into it right away, right? don't worry about it being "unsafe" with your old sprockets. that is not true at all.
                              Last edited by Mojoe; 08-21-2011, 11:49 PM.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I'm not sure what damage you could do to a sprocket while learning, but I'm one of the ones who would say to replace it as a set.
                                -Steve

sigpic
                                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                                X