Armored Shirts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armored Shirts

Hey all,

I had posted asking for oppinions on the Icon Field Armor Vest. The discussion has led me to looking at armored shirts to suit my purpose.

The ideal for me, would be to have something in an armored shirt with a removeable spine protector which can be used on it's own.

-There's the Velocity Armor (the shirt) http://www.highvelocitygear.com/home.html
    Which is looking pretty attractive to me because it's level II and the spine protector is removeable and wearable by itself, and we Katriders get a nifty discount on the web-purchase.

-There's the Bohn Crusader Shirt http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/pro...hp?prod=BGCRBH
    The back protector looks pretty decent but does not look removeable. However, this one looks low profile enought that it might be comfortable to wear the whole thing all the time? CE approved.

-There's the Dainese shirts. http://www.dainese.com/pre.asp
    Looks much like the velocity gear. Good reviews.

-There's the 661 pressure suits http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...735897&pl=MOTO
    Now this one is the purdiest IMO. lol It's not CE approved but that doesn't matter to me if the protection is still up to par. Haven't seen it in person. It was originally designed for BMX and Motocross but I hear people are wearing 'em in the street.

I'm sure there are others. These seem to be the most attractive to me. Can anyone share their experience with any of these products or suggest others?

The last two have removeable spine protectors but I am unable to determine if they can be worn efficiently on their own... can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,

Nick
    My Karma ran over my Dogma.

i like these actually... looks like something to wear on those hot summer days when you don't wanna put on a full jacket. (and yes... i know it doesn't protect your arms)

661 Protection, the original MTB protection brand offer comprehensive range of MTB protection, helmets, gloves, goggles and ride supports. Ride fast, take chances #Ride661
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
      i like these actually... looks like something to wear on those hot summer days when you don't wanna put on a full jacket. (and yes... i know it doesn't protect your arms)

http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...4ff330&pl=MOTO
      Yeah, the 661 stuff looks real cool. And it looks real hardcore too. However, the stuff was designed for downhill. Some dealers are selling it "Good for on or off-road use." But I wonder about the level of protection against impact in street-speed crashes. As far as protection against abraision, it looks to be the best of the four.

If it were similar to that of the velocity gear, I would buy it in an instant.

...anyone?

Comment

I have been refered to this website. This one looks great too and i bet you can wear that spine protecto by itself.

Comment

Re: Armored Shirts

Originally posted by goose491
          -There's the 661 pressure suits....
          . lol It's not CE approved but that doesn't matter to me if the protection is still up to par......
          Nick
          IMO??

CE = up to par...
          If the protection is there they would get the CE approval.
          It does cost a company to get CE certification.
          But if you're, serious you do it..

Comment

[quote="Black_peter"]
            CE = up to par...
            +1

I subscribe to "Something is better then nothing" but +1

So, Velocity, Knox, Bhon or Dainese.

Comment

I bought the Icon Field Armour. Although there are probably better armour systems out there, it's low profile and lightweight make it easy to wear. No point to getting something that you find uncomfortable. You won't wear it.
              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                -There's the 661 pressure suits....
                . lol It's not CE approved but that doesn't matter to me if the protection is still up to par......
                Nick
                IMO??

CE = up to par...
                See the last FAQ on "'CE Approved' Labels?" at Aerostitch.

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
                  something to wear on those hot summer days when you don't wanna put on a full jacket. (and yes... i know it doesn't protect your arms)
                  Why not wear mesh textile jacket and pants (with armor) over your own t-short and shorts? You can even get mesh gloves with decent protection. The only parts that stay heavily encased are your feet and head, and you can avoid your winter-weight insulated waterproof boots.

Look at the Closeout mesh jackets at New Enough. (No mesh pants on closeout right now.) Aren't those breezy enough for you?

Comment

well... the armor is great.... but i think that the skin protection is more useful. ive seen many more accidents that resulted in nasty road rash, than i have with any kind of chest/back injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by bobs
                      Why not wear mesh textile jacket and pants (with armor) over your own t-short and shorts? You can even get mesh gloves with decent protection. The only parts that stay heavily encased are your feet and head, and you can avoid your winter-weight insulated waterproof boots.

Look at the Closeout mesh jackets at New Enough. (No mesh pants on closeout right now.) Aren't those breezy enough for you?
                      Actually I already have the ICON TiMax jacket in the link you posted (well... i have the one w/ the removable fleece liner) and I still find it way too hot... even w/ a mesh wife-beater on under it. I also already have mesh gloves... as for pants I have ICON riding jeans which are far from "cool" but I have yet to find something else that doesn't make me look like a tool when I walk into a store.

Maybe I just am more sensitive to heat? I dunno... point is on really hot days I tend to just wear a t-shirt and my riding jeans... so I figure an armored shirt/vest would at least be somewhat of an improvement.
                      I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                      http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Originally posted by jason05
                        well... the armor is great.... but i think that the skin protection is more useful. ive seen many more accidents that resulted in nasty road rash, than i have with any kind of chest/back injuries.
                        Good point. I have heard too many stories of people no injuries other than road rash ending up in a burn unit getting skins grafts after a spill. I personally still would not ride without some impact protection as well.

Comment

I saw this on SB. You may find it useful.

Comment

I have a 661 presure suit, works great out here in az summers,I asked the rep why it hasn't been approved and his responce was we are a small bicycle clothing company and pay too much to have a helmet approved.

brings back, wearing it is better than nothing.

thats why alot of stunters wear these,you can move around very easy.

I got mine for downhill racing and find it great to wear in the summer on the street, cooler than a t-shirt, very well vented.
                            Masshole in Az! -teaches pet-

Comment

Anyone wear body armor under leather jackets?

Comment

Working...
                              X