X

Valve Cover Bolts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Cover Bolts

I am doing my valve lash and I in the process of removing the bolts holding down the valve cover. How did you guys get to the front left and right bolts? My tools don't have the clearance to get in there?

take the oil cooler off.

Comment

That doesnt seem to be whats blocking it, it looks to me like the frame member is the problem....?

Comment

the cross member on the frame? Take that off to. You should have had that off already along with the coils.

Comment

The front small bolt? I used a 1/4 drive flex socket, but if you break it loose with a box end you can finger it out.

Comment

I took the cross member off, along with the coils and anything else up there that I might have thought would get in the way. I used to be a lead tech at an AutoBody Shop and I know it is better to R+I (Remove and install) items that could be in the way then to try and finagle things out....I got them cracked loose, but my real question is how am I to torque them back down after the fact....I will never get a torque wrench in there....

Comment

The only way I can get to the front bolts is with a regular allen , and they're little tricky to get out that way . Just be careful not to strip out the hole beating on the allen and knocking it around in there .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

As far as torque you will probably have to go by feel (torque the ones you can get to and then check that tension with the wrench you will use on the other bolts).

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                  As far as torque you will probably have to go by feel (torque the ones you can get to and then check that tension with the wrench you will use on the other bolts).
                  You should be able to torque all but one, the front center next to cam chain 'bump'
                  As far as I remember thats the only one thats a PITA.
                  You use a short Allen torque adapter if you really want to
                  Make one from a cheap 6mm combination wrench and 3/8 drive socket then use screwdriver Allen bit, make it 3" long so its easy to work out torque reduction,(less 25%, 4x3=12)
                  You probably need to be working on several a day to make it worthwhile though?? (I did in the 80's)
                  Make sure you use new crush washers on the oil bolts through cover, the 'rubber' washers will normally last two or three services before they need replacing
                  (you don't have the time to remove cooler in shop/dealership)
                  PJ
                  Last edited by crazypj; 11-11-2007, 10:49 PM. Reason: extra information
                  I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it.
                  There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

Comment

Working...
                  X