Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Doing the change to 03+ newer tail. with pics. finally !!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. The '05 undertail fits the '01 frame, but there are small changes, including the blinker holes moving forward by about 1/2" and the shovel being wider at that point by about 3/4".

2. The Givi PL518 racks will fit if you dremel out approximately 1" x 1" hole behind the blinker holes for the pass-through rod to fit. On the 98-02 undertail, it lines up with the existing blinker holes.

3. The 03+ tail fairing is wider left-to-right and has more stand-off from the frame than the 98-02 tail fairings. While this gave me enough space to mount the Ohlins SU801 oil/gas reservior under the tail fairings of the 600, it also raised out the sides enough that it touches the front bar of the givi rack (full contact when mounted; 98-02 has about 3/8" clearance there).

4. Breaking your windshield sucks. And sucks twice as much if you don't have a spare on-hand.

5. Red rubber grease makes the rubber vibration isolators for the fairings work much better.

6. The wire connector for the tail light changes (still three-pin, different configuration). Solder and heat-shrink tubing squared that right away, but I'm wondering if anyone will want to buy a bumblebee tail light sans molex connector (even if it is 48-LED modified).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the offer Cyberpoet,

I've managed to find a kind suzuki dealer who can get me one from Japan, so going to order tomorrow. Only £14 too.

If i can find an undertail i may get one, but if the 98-01 fits minus 2 bolts i wont care.

Comment

just a quick question, what have people done about the stock nuber plate light and reflector as this is now part of the new tail light

thanks
        Last edited by t121anf; 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Typically, when people do this change, they also chop the shovel. Or order an undertail.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

Working...
          X