X

6g idle with choke on.....HELP!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6g idle with choke on.....HELP!

hello all, since ive gotten this bike i've had nothing but headaches. i love it when its running....but its a blue moon when its running right.

anyway, bike quite out at 65mph, short story flooded and washed the cylinder walls. i decided to THOROGHLY clean it and paint/repair the plastics. i cleaned the carbs, started it up and idled a 5000rpm. took it apart, went to kat wiki carb 101, triple checked every measurment. now its all together and i couldnt get it to start. then went from 2 turns to 1.5 turns on the a/f mixture screw. just tried to start it again with the choke on.....6000rpms.

i'm at a total loss, and this is my daily driver since my honda got stolen. i dont see or notice any air leak. replaced the throttle cable and that didnt help but i needed a new one anyway. and read all the other posts and it didnt seem to help. any advice would be great!

thank you and god bless.

Adjustment to throttle cable where it meets the carbs is my first thought..
    -2000 "750"

Comment

If it idles that high with the choke ON, turn the choke OFF.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        If it idles that high with the choke ON, turn the choke OFF.
        that's what I thought when I saw the heading.....
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

ditto
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Congratulation guys! You have common sense.

Comment

it idles 6g with the choke off too.....thought of that, and the throttle cable is all the way adjusted down to where the throttle plates are very slightly barely open, its at its lowest point, and i dont even have the idle adjuster isnt the problem cause its not even on lol
              Last edited by Katana600-4me; 01-27-2014, 01:36 AM.

Comment

In that case, I second this.
                Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                Adjustment to throttle cable where it meets the carbs is my first thought..

Comment

Big vacuum leak?
                  When you cleaned the carbs did you replace all the o-rings and gaskets?
                  Drain line on airbox in place and plugged?
                  Carb to engine boots on solid and no vacuum leaks?
                  Same with the airbox to carb boots?

Comment

A vacuum leak will certainly cause a high idle, but not THAT high. Something has to be holding the butterfly open, like the throttle cable where it connects to the carbs as Cheriff said. I guess if the sync is WAY off it could idle high. I doubt it would idle that high though.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana600-4me View Post
                      it idles 6g with the choke off too.....thought of that, and the throttle cable is all the way adjusted down to where the throttle plates are very slightly barely open, its at its lowest point, and i dont even have the idle adjuster isnt the problem cause its not even on lol
                      If you haven't already, sync your carbs.
                      Watch the choke slide operation and ensure that it's actually closing the plungers when you 'close' or 'back off' the choke. Take off the air-box and check for proper diaphragm slide operation and proper butterfly operation. Look inside the air-box for any light coming in and check for vacuum leaks.

You probably want an idle adjuster. You'd be surprised how little the butterflies have to be open with no load to produce 6k rpm.

If it idles at 6k with the choke on, and then at 6k with the choke off, is your choke actually doing anything?

Should the problem persist, might wanna take a look at the float heights and Needle Jet and Emulsion Tube setup.
                      - Purplehaze
                      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

I've been looking at the kat wiki but i don't understand the throttle cable adjustments, can some one explain it to me so I can try that, maybe it'll slack it off some

Comment

You know how the throttle cable bolts onto that post on the #3 carb? Tighten it all the way. That's the "adjustment" we're talking about, not some fine adjustment.

Comment

Mine has a fine adjustment.....???? Oops, forgot, post cables. I'm only half right anyway...... Lol
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                              Mine has a fine adjustment.....???? Oops, forgot, post cables. I'm only half right anyway...... Lol
                              I know it has a fine adjustment. I wasn't saying that it doesn't. I meant meant in this case, the fine adjustment isn't what needs adjusting.

Comment

Working...
                              X