X

Carb work...yes, another carb thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb work...yes, another carb thread

Don't worry, I've read Carbs 101 and 102. I actually have 102 printed out and have been using it as a reference. First thing I noticed after I took the bike apart and got the carb rail off (which was quite easy) was that one of the screws holding on one of the bowls is stripped. Must be someone (PO?) had thought to start some carb work before, stripped it, and walked away? I don't know, but I don't know how I'm going to get that off. It's possible a flathead might do, but not sure of the extent of the strippage yet.

For now I'm just posting a couple pictures for gee whiz sake. I actually bought a used set of carbs off another member that I am waiting for. Just tinkering for now as I am impatient. I also have got to find the visual sync thread, not sure how to do that. I'm guessing they might end up needing a good sync though. Here's a few:

I actually might not be the most experienced person to take this on...but if anything it will be a learning experience for me.
    Last edited by ajsnow6234; 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM.

Try grabbing the screw with a pair of vice grips. Plan to replace all of them with stainless steel cap screws anyway (won't rust and easy to break loose) so don't worry about buggering up the screw.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks! I figured that'd what I would have to do, unless it's really badly stripped.

Another lesson learned: If you think you have just enough space in your 10qt oil pan for the oil change...you probably don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ajsnow6234 View Post
        Thanks! I figured that'd what I would have to do, unless it's really badly stripped.

Another lesson learned: If you think you have just enough space in your 10qt oil pan for the oil change...you probably don't.
        It's amazing how fast hot oil comes out of these things isn't it!
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
        Black painted seat and rear trim,
        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

My favorite trick with stripped screws is to slot them with a dremel tool, then use my biggest flat head screw driver to get them out, or a hammer.

That's why you should always whack the screws with an impact driver.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

An impact screwdriver will often loosen even a totally wallowed out screw. I assume when you say "striped" you mean the head of the screw is wallowed out not that the threads are seized / crossed / destroyed as that would need a completely different tactic.

Comment

Ok, so....slight update (though I've mentioned in shoutbox). Once I got everything put together...I did not do some things correctly. For one...the Air/Fuel screws were definitely not set right. By the time I finally got the bike even to start...the idle was all over the place before completely shutting off. I also know that I reinstalled the throttle cables wrong...

So, I admitted defeat and decided to call for reinforcements. Found a guy on Craigslist and after emailing a couple references I had him come over tonight. He looked at the carbs and little did I know said there was a jetkit on them. He mentioned that the jets didn't look real bad, but since they were off and open he wanted to take them home and clean them good. That was fine with me and after talking to him a bit I gained a bit of confidence in him, he even was showing me what he was doing, which I appreciated. After hearing what other's opinions of K & N filters on are I wasn't surprised to hear him ask "You don't have a K&N on there do you"?

He'll be back tomorrow around noon or so looking forward to getting it running.

Comment

Just an update...finally got the bike running nicely. The dude that came to help me from craigslist was really nice. He seemed really knowledgeable and thorough. He actually had the patience to show me a lot of stuff that I had questions about. So next time I need to do anything with the carbs I really think I'll have the confidence to do it myself. I still think it might need to be sync'd, as it didn't get sync'd and he said he didn't think it needed to be. He said, "that's just how it sounds with the aftermarket exhaust". Well, I didn't quite buy into that, but it is at least running pretty good.

The bad thing is that the morning after I got it all fixed up my wife and I left for vacation in the outer banks. Haven't gotten to ride it but I've been having some great seafood. wish the weather would be a little nicer to us though.

Comment

Good to hear....

I would definately check the sync... just to make sure.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Good to hear....

I would definately check the sync... just to make sure.

Krey
                    When I get home I'm going to setup an at home sync tool...does the syncing tweak the A/F screws or the idle screws? I know that might be in carbs 101, so maybe I should just be shunned for asking.

I'm assuming it's the A/F screws, because thats the reason they sell the "longboy" screws.

Comment

...does the syncing tweak the A/F screws or the idle screws? ...
                      Neither. There are three sync screws in-between the carbs, on the linkage that opens the butterflies. If you look down from above the carbs you can see them (and get to them). Each screw has a spring around it and another spring pushing a little plate against the end of the screw. They adjust how much each carb opens up relative to the others.

... I know that might be in carbs 101, so maybe I should just be shunned for asking....
                      Yep, it's there.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        Neither. There are three sync screws in-between the carbs, on the linkage that opens the butterflies. If you look down from above the carbs you can see them (and get to them). Each screw has a spring around it and another spring pushing a little plate against the end of the screw. They adjust how much each carb opens up relative to the others.
                        Right...aren't those the idle adjustment screws? Either way, I know the ones you're talking about. Thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

There is one screw that is attached to an 'extender' bringing it out to the left side of the carbs which adjusts the idle.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                          X