Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411

Touring 411 Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #41
daslex
Katrider

Excellent read thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #42
Nero
Look at my C-l-e-a-v-a-g-e!

eBay ID: Stix0816

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslex View Post

Excellent read thanks.

Marc is STILL helping people.

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #43
Slofuze
Kat King

Saved the link.......and will be referred to often. Thanks Darin and Marc.
96 YZF 1000R
Slofuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #44
DClark
Kat Daddy

My two cents:
I hate hand grip vibes big time, so I have get grips + fingerless gel gloves + regular leather ride gloves with gel insert.
Before a long trip, always do a carb synch, always!
Always wear a riding suit. I got a Joe Rocket cordura full suit and even it is hot outside, it is fine. You will sweat, but then you open a zipper and you stay cool, it is fine and beats street clothes (with debridement) if you go down. Plus, it is water proof.
For motels, i usually stay at motel 6 as they are usually the cheapest, you can park your bike in front of your room window and it is to throw out your stuff in one. Also, I feel less guilty about being away from my family (we usually stay in 3star+ hotels on vacation)
Bring a can of red bull or similar. This is to be used for situations like your dead *** tired and the motel is one hour away you don't want to fall asleep on the bike nor nap next to the road!.
Bring a zip lock bag of paper towels/toilet paper. Not on a bike trip, but I was in my car, admiring the beauty of the redwood trees in the middle of nowehere when those bagels I had for breakfast started to ground hog!
Chain lube- my chain stays lubed pretty well , but I travel with Honda chain lube as it works well and the can is very small, nice for travelling.
The other fluid I pack is a quart of Mobil 1 20-50 Vtwin motor oil. It is good, thick oil and I have noticed that my normally oil frugal bike will start using it on long, high speed runs. It is nice to have a bottle of good oil to top it off rather than get some crappy stuff at the local 7/11 because that is all that is near.
Bring a small air gauge, if you go down in altitude a lot, before parking it for the night, add air to the tires then check the next day, bleeding them if necessary for the perfect pressure.
DClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #45
crackedpot
Rookie

Anyone know what kind of rack CP had on his bike?
crackedpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #46
vonrapier
Knee Dragger

Many Thanks.......Well thought out.

Da Bikers Bible.......

98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe
vonrapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #47
bob393
Kat Champion

eBay ID: bob393

This really is a great refresher!
I think it should be read every spring

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
3BBB turn signal mirrors,
Black painted seat and rear trim,
Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #48
Groj
Skid Mark

Brilliant. The only addition I would suggest would be to load the gear and do a series of day trips before the main event. Get used to the bike being different and also, more importantly, build up your road fitness. We do a lot of 2 up touring on a 750F Kat. The first year we found really hard physically and found we were better having shorter days but more consistent miles the doing big miles day 1 and 2.
If you are doing long trips (3 weeks) plan for some "non-bike" days. We got caught in some really bad weather one trip so holed up in a motel for a day and just sat in the room watching movies. Next day clear weather and we were dry, sorted, and back on the road. Felt a lot better after a full day out of the saddle.
G n R
Groj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 AM   #49
derdmn
Rookie
Supporting Member

So sorry to hear of CP's passing. This is an indispensable repository of information and wisdom. Ride hard and carry this friend in your hearts, fellow KR's.

Instagram @derdmn
1976 Dodge Aspen 225 slant six
2013 Chevy Equinox 2.3 EcoTec (plans for turbo system)
derdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411