Poor man's ignition advancer. Do it yourself

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor man's ignition advancer. Do it yourself

Poor man's ignition advancer,

No cost, just a little bit of time.......
    So, how much should you enlarge the holes and twist the plate? Well the advance should be 3-5° and 1° is almost exactly 1mm on the edge of the plate. So enlarge the holes about 5mm. The best way to find the optimum setting is to dynotest the bike and try different settings. The advance units you can purchase, usually have a fixed setting of 5°. Be carefull not to over do it and listen for engine "pre detonation" which usually occurs at low RPM, high gear and high load. On an otherwise low tuned engine you could expect about 1-2 Hp in the midrange.

Diagram:

Now, what I did on my Kat in addition to the above, was I also scribed degree lines in the plate at 0 degrees, 2.5 degrees, and 5 degrees, and then used the engine block as a pointer. You can see on the right side where the lines are scribed. Most advancers run 4 to 5 degrees advance. I use 3 degrees. Note that this pic was taken at 0 degrees advance.

Last edited by meanstrk; 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM.
    Ron
    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Thanks bro, good info!
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

good thinkin, thanks for the info! I'll stickify it for awhile !

Comment

Why did I think of that. Good info bro.

Comment

Does it only work on kats or all bikes?
          PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
          The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

It can work on any bike that has a rotating advancer and stationary pickup and a backing plate that can be removed. In effect, it's like rotating a distributor on a car.
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Won't advancing the timing increase popping thru the exhuast on decel, or does it just effect top end?
              Gripp & Regripp

Comment

I had an idea to go along with this... Couldn't you just enlarge the size of the gap on the back of the OEM rotor by 5 degrees or so in the correct direction and re-attach it? This would be much easier/cheaper to fix if you mess something up, and I'm sure any machine shop could take care of it in 20 minutes for $10-20.

Comment

The only problem I've seen with this method is its REALLY tough to find 1 degree differences using this, as its adjustable.

You can get the good ones for only $46 delivered to most states...............as an alternative! 8)
                  I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                  Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                  Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

i'd like to do this mod but unfortunately the pictures don't work so i haven't got a clue????
                    www.gran-torino.com
                    www.nikkirous.com

Comment

i, like paulos also can't see the pics

Comment

Spark Advance

I am wondering if this can be done the same way on a '03 Kat 600 with Cal. emissions? The initial timing on the cal model is 4 degrees instead of 10? I also cannot see the pics. Thanks, Dave

Comment

advancer

does my 94 have one of these? dont see it in the book

Comment

I'm hosting the photos on my site so you guys can check them out...admins, fell free to update the links in the original post and point the images toward my address if you like.

Comment

with the mod - how are you getting it back to the stock setting when you adjust the valves ?

tim

Comment

Working...
                              X