X

Carburetor diaphragms - dry or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor diaphragms - dry or not?

When I was cleaning my carbs, I read either in the manual or in one of the posts here (not sure which) to check the diaphragms for dryness. I did so, and they were covered with a slightly greasy substance, not unlike (pardon the analogy) a condom fresh out of its wrapper.

Since I was cleaning everything, I thought "hey, what the heck, might as well clean that, too." But after I was done, it struck me that the writer may have been hinting at dryness as being something to avoid.

Is that true, and if so, what should I put on diaphragms to keep them from drying out, and how much?

The oily film is from the engine breather, normal. A dry diaphragm will be stiff, brittle and show cracking. That won't function as intended. Should be soft and pliable, no cracks, splits or pin holes.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      A dry diaphragm will be stiff, brittle and show cracking. That won't function as intended.
      Which brings me back to my question - what should I put on diaphragms to keep them from drying out, and how much?

Comment

Absolutely nothing. They will last for a very long time.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X