Changes needed for full V&H system?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes needed for full V&H system?

Pre 600 here.

A while back I picked up a good used full 4-1 Vance & Hines SS2-R system that came off a Pre 600. Before installing this I'm wondering what changes are needed to run acceptably vs required to run its best.

From my reading, need might be:

Pilot jet screws out to 3-3.5 turns and shim the needle up with a #4 brass washer.

Required to run its best:

Fuel mix screws out to 3-3.5 turns and Factory Pro jet kit set up right.

Yes, I know I should just do it right, but will have some time this weekend to possibly get the exhaust system on and would not have the FP kits here by then. Is it worth doing it with the shims and riding it or should I just order the FP kits and wait for my next opportunity?

Also, I ask the next question because I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I have new head/header gaskets but am wondering if the header to mid-pipe and mid-pipe to can connections each need a gasket of its own? I've read that those connections might not use gaskets but high temp o-rings or nothing at all???

Any and all help and opinions are appreciated!

Where the fuck does it says mixture screws at 3-3.5 turns out with a jet kit? I need to kick whoever said that directly in the testicles. Unless it was Tone, in which case I totally understand. I have no idea what number washer you need, I just know know you have to shim the OEM needles with a half step washer. Mid pipe to can, no gasket there, header to mid pipe, yes gasket is used there.

Comment

Thanks!

Looks like I got my info crossed over between looking at all the different posts on different jet kits.

Comment

Before you go enriching the mixture with the A/F screws, I'd try one size up on the main jets. Stock are 112.5, so try 115.

Comment

Keep the pilot screws at 2.5, half step washer on the needles, check!

Jets: 115 across the board? Or is this one of those motors that have one cylinder different?

Comment

No, they are all the same, so 115 across the board.

Comment

Did you ever figure the perfect setup? I have the same set up and I'm chasing a hiccup all over the rpm trying to get it right.

Comment

Riding every day and real life have gotten in the way of this project. All the parts are still hanging in the shed.

Comment

Finally back to this project' It's amazing what moving twice in a years time can do for all the projects one wanted to get done.

That said, does anyone have a reference as to what size springs I need to assemble this system? Those are either still in storage, in a box somewhere or have gone MIA. I believe that there are two longer ones for the header to mid and two shorter ones for the mid to can.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                    Finally back to this project' It's amazing what moving twice in a years time can do for all the projects one wanted to get done.

That said, does anyone have a reference as to what size springs I need to assemble this system? Those are either still in storage, in a box somewhere or have gone MIA. I believe that there are two longer ones for the header to mid and two shorter ones for the mid to can.
                    I'll see if I can track down the springs I have in the shop... I haven't moved recently, but it will still be a little bit of a search probably... lol.

That said...

You can still order complete spring kits for the V&H systems.

That was the first google result... some competitive price shopping may get better price / free shipping options.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Found them faster than I thought... they were in the tool drawer with the spring puller. Wierd!

Hope these help ya out.

More at imgur.com/a/4Hgxx if you need.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Saw that set in various places, but it is listed for the SS2-R system not the SS22-R.

From what I can see the SS2-R is a different system all together and may indeed need all those springs in some applications.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                          Saw that set in various places, but it is listed for the SS2-R system not the SS22-R.

From what I can see the SS2-R is a different system all together and may indeed need all those springs in some applications.
                          I have both the SS (round can) and the SS2r (oval can) and they all use the same springs for the applications. You may not need them all, but the kit will have the springs you need.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Sweeeeet!

Thanks Krey!

Comment

Working...
                            X