Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #31
Heeltoeclutch
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 72

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpielers View Post
maybe cover the end of the fuel line so it can't evaporate out? Don't think enough would evaporate to create a vacuum...
Sorry, not sure I understand the vacuum part - I did not cover it because I wanted the full weight/pressure of the fuel in the line pushing on the needles. If i cover it it would be like putting a finger on a straw, preventing a realistic leak test, I think?
Heeltoeclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #32
shpielers
Kat Legend
 
shpielers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 3,598

Default

Possibly, that's what meant by vaccum.
__________________
2006 Katana 600
1992 Katana 1100
2006 Ninja 250
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #33
Heeltoeclutch
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 72

Default

Ok, new update - carbs have been in leakdown test for a day now. There are still a few inches of gas in the 3+4 line, nothing left in the 1+2 line. Heres what the tray looks like:



As expected carbs 1 and 2 are leaking a bit at the gaskets as I saw - however turn them around and we have a little bit of gas on the engine-side mouth:

Carb 1:


And an eensy teensy bit on carb 3:


My question is: What Now? Here's my loose plan:

1. Order new bowl gaskets for #1 and #2.

2. Inspect needle valves on #1 and #3....


I find it hard to believe that the needles are damaged or are the problems themselves, as they look very good. Could it be possible that fuel is getting into the mouths some other way, around an O-ring or something?

I know this thread is getting long... thank you guys for your continued help

EDIT: I may have figured out a clever way to test my needles. Took my Gaserade bottle and ran a 1/4" line to the in-side of the carb 1 float rail, and have the carb 1 needle in place. After about 15 minutes, there is the world's tiniest glob of gas sticking on the end where it wouod come out. Hm.

Perhaps this isn't a realistic representation? If it is, maybe I need a new needle or two. Going to leave it like this til I can work on it in the morning.




Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; Yesterday at 09:39 PM..
Heeltoeclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #34
Kreylyn
Kat King
 
Kreylyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weaverville, NC
Posts: 15,587
eBay ID: Kreylyn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeltoeclutch View Post
Ok, new update - carbs have been in leakdown test for a day now. There are still a few inches of gas in the 3+4 line, nothing left in the 1+2 line. Heres what the tray looks like:



As expected carbs 1 and 2 are leaking a bit at the gaskets as I saw - however turn them around and we have a little bit of gas on the engine-side mouth:

Carb 1:


And an eensy teensy bit on carb 3:


My question is: What Now? Here's my loose plan:

1. Order new bowl gaskets for #1 and #2.

2. Inspect needle valves on #1 and #3....


I find it hard to believe that the needles are damaged or are the problems themselves, as they look very good. Could it be possible that fuel is getting into the mouths some other way, around an O-ring or something?

I know this thread is getting long... thank you guys for your continued help

EDIT: I may have figured out a clever way to test my needles. Took my Gaserade bottle and ran a 1/4" line to the in-side of the carb 1 float rail, and have the carb 1 needle in place. After about 15 minutes, there is the world's tiniest glob of gas sticking on the end where it wouod come out. Hm.

Perhaps this isn't a realistic representation? If it is, maybe I need a new needle or two. Going to leave it like this til I can work on it in the morning.



so you posted a pic of the needles close up a while back... that pic showed clear rings visible in the pic on the needles.

Those rings generally suggest the needle is shot.

I'd replace at this point.

Krey
__________________
93 750 Kat



Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #35
Heeltoeclutch
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 72

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
so you posted a pic of the needles close up a while back... that pic showed clear rings visible in the pic on the needles.

Those rings generally suggest the needle is shot.

I'd replace at this point.

Krey
Thanks Krey - I suppose I didn't really know what was go/no-go for visual inspection of needles. I was expecting cracked, dry-looking rubber and so they all looked better than I expected!

From searching and reading, the only good option I know of for needles are ebay kits - I can call my dealer but in the ronayers or BikeBandit fiches I don't believe they even the list the needle as a part - just the whole float assembly, which I'd certainly prefer not to buy

Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; Today at 10:17 AM..
Heeltoeclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #36
Kreylyn
Kat King
 
Kreylyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weaverville, NC
Posts: 15,587
eBay ID: Kreylyn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeltoeclutch View Post
Thanks Krey - I suppose I didn't really know what was go/no-go for visual inspection of needles. I was expecting cracked, dry-looking rubber and so they all looked better than I expected!

From searching and reading, the only good option I know of for needles are ebay kits - I can call my dealer but in the ronayers or BikeBandit fiches I don't believe they even the list the needle as a part - just the whole float assembly, which I'd certainly prefer not to buy
Float Needle

Bowl Gasket


Or a full kit (generally the more economical route to go...)


Krey
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #37
Heeltoeclutch
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 72

Default

Thanks Krey 2 kits have been ordered - for the two leaking gaskets and two leaking needles. In the meantime, I think I'll get started on the brakes/fork seals, etc.

When the kits arrive - is there any MORE stuff that could likely be wrong with the carbs?? I would expect that the gaskets would solve the bowl leaks, and the needles will solve the leaks into the mouths. I sure hope there's nothing else with these darned things I'm missing.

Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; Today at 12:48 PM..
Heeltoeclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

  KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inconsistent Engine Cut Outs; Advice Appreciated skdj Mechanics 101 7 06-17-2017 06:32 PM
any advice would be much appreciated tbeeler Mechanics 101 5 12-23-2016 10:05 AM
Clutch slave cylinder leaking. Advice needed SamuraiGiant1100 Mechanics 101 4 12-25-2014 11:02 AM
oil leaking...... any input appreciated hattorihansolo Mechanics 101 6 04-25-2013 01:00 AM
'82 Kats...any advice appreciated zackybilly1 Vintage Kats 1 09-22-2009 03:58 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Katriders.com, Copyright ©2004 - 2017

Like Cigars? Check out Vitola.org