X

Noob to Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob to Kats

Hi guys and gals. I'm new to the oil-cooled motors and joined the forum for information. I'm generally a Honda guy and gravitate toward the early V4s but I like all things 2 wheeled.
    I've been eyeballing my buddies Kat though which has sat for 8+ years now. I'm guessing the carbs are sludged with varnish. It's an 89 1100 Kat from what I saw but I could be wrong. So thank you for the info and is there anything I should know to resurrect it that's specific to the bike?
    1990 Katana 1100

My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......

Welcome and check the wiki area for carbs 101 and 102 lots of helpful people here got pics we like pics

Comment

Actually carbs 101 and 102 are for the 600s and 750s. They'll give you a good idea what to do though if you decide to go for it. The 1100's have 16" wheels, standard is 17. It's a little hard to find quality tires, but there are several threads in here detailing how to swap to 17" wheels (wild-bills write up is particularly good). It's on my to do list for the 1100 I'm bringing back to life. The 88 is an off year, the 89-93 are all the same. Different suspension and frame than the 88s. There's a manual available for download in the wiki, if it's sat for that long you'll need it.
      In general oil cooled 4 cylinder engines last a long time. Maybe not as long as some v twins, but for a sport bike, roundabouts 100k miles is pretty good.
      Factory pro still sells jet kits for it if you're so inclined. Even without it, bike pulls hard.

Welcome to KR!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Fyi it's NOT a true sport bike, it's a sport styled touring bike.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Touchè
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome...

Comment

Welcome.
                Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                  Actually carbs 101 and 102 are for the 600s and 750s. They'll give you a good idea what to do though if you decide to go for it. The 1100's have 16" wheels, standard is 17. It's a little hard to find quality tires, but there are several threads in here detailing how to swap to 17" wheels (wild-bills write up is particularly good). It's on my to do list for the 1100 I'm bringing back to life. The 88 is an off year, the 89-93 are all the same. Different suspension and frame than the 88s. There's a manual available for download in the wiki, if it's sat for that long you'll need it.
                  In general oil cooled 4 cylinder engines last a long time. Maybe not as long as some v twins, but for a sport bike, roundabouts 100k miles is pretty good.
                  Factory pro still sells jet kits for it if you're so inclined. Even without it, bike pulls hard.

Welcome to KR!
                  I appreciate the help. Thank you
                  1990 Katana 1100

My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......

Comment

Working...
                  X