No announcement yet.
X

Plastidipped 05 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that same bike on craigslist and the guy never called me back. Wound up buying a 2000/600.

That is a fantastic difference, this payday I am doing mine.

Comment

Yeah he sold it cheap because of how ugly it was. $1500 and I brought it home, I feel like it was a good price. Its hard to find a good running, reliable bike for less than 2 grand, and almost impossible to find one like that newer than a 2000. If it looked like it does now he could have probably gotten 2500 out of it.

Comment

Have to say when I first saw this my brain went "He did what?!?"

Having done some googling around this looks like something I might just do for a temp paint job. Prep is easy, goes on easy, reasonably durable, and entirely removable. Not too many down sides to trying it.

From what I've read though do be careful when fueling up, Plastidip does NOT like gasoline.
        Last edited by skjeflo; 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah its pretty much win/win. Its cheap and easy to do. Since it dries in minutes there isn't much down time or waiting. Don't like it when its dry? Peel it off. You lose about 15 bucks and learn what not to do. I'm going to pearl-ize the bike next. My local Ace carries Plastidip and has all colors.

I have a total of $1600 in the bike including the first paint job(already had the paint gun and compressor) and Plastidip. To get something that looks as nice as this, runs as well as this and is as new as this I'd expect to pay $2800-$3500. I feel like I got a great deal and could sell the bike to get my money back pretty easily.

Comment

I got a bunch of this and I want to do my tire rims. Do I have to take my tire off of the rim to do this or can I tape it off or something like that?

I'm going to take the whole wheel off the bike but I don't have a tool to take the tire off the rim.

Do I need to figure out how to get my tire off my rim to plasti dip my rims?

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt using TapaTalk
            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Tape up the tire and you can spray the rim without issue. Even if you don't tape it up it will look okay. Since the stuff peels off easily over spray isn't an issue. No need to spend 6 hours masking stuff. Just a quick tape line and start spraying. It is very important to remove the tape immediately after spraying the part. If you let it dry with tape on it the Plastidip will peel off when you remove the tape. Plastidip doesn't run, no need to worry about streaking.

Comment

So decided to do the fairings instead after testing it on something. This is how it looks not even dried. Stuff is awesome.. I'll post pics once dry and together also

Here is the fairing before. It had scratches from going down we just sanded that down a bit and then washed it with soap and water. Dried it with air compressor before spraying. Just picked up more to do the other side. Doing the wheels white
                .....Old fairing image won't load right now will fix later.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt using TapaTalk
                Last edited by rottenpixies; 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM.
                - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

My brother used this stuff on his brand new (80kms on it) 2013 Mustang. The areas he painted look awesome.

It looks like an inexpensive way to freshen up an old bike!
                  2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                  2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                  1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                  1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                  1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

RP, you don't have to mask tires at all, it rolls right off the rubber once cured out

I've been seriously debating doing my jetta with white and glossifier...it's 10 years old and it shows on the body, and this is a quick solution to clean it up a bit....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Painted my bike last month with the matt black and it's holding really well specially in FL with all the rain heat and bugs only thing I wished I did was remove my stickers but other than that best 40 bucks I spent in awhile ...looks good and It took me 7 cans

Comment

That matte black looks excellent!

Comment

more pics please...

Comment

I will post way better pics by the weekend. The pic I posted above does it no justice what so so ever. I wanted to call in to work so bad today so i could put everything back on the bike! I'm getting a lime green for the rest of the fairings and than doing the wheels black or green as well.

Again sorry about such low quality of the pic, but it was in a poorly lit garage after I had been holding down spray nozzles for like 4 hours.

This also shows the mesh mod we did. I haven't bonded onto the back yet just got them cut out. I may paint the mesh, it's original silver it came in right now.

I promise Hi-res pics that do the plasti-dip justice by this weekend at lastest!
                            Last edited by rottenpixies; 06-19-2013, 08:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            - Josh

Comment

nice, the mesh is a great compliment to the semi-gloss of the dip. I'd clear the mesh if it were me, keep the contrast.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Here is a pic of the above fairing before being dipped. As you can see it was scratched from going down a few times and I light sanded the scratches before applying plasti dip. I'll write up a nice detailed step by step of what we did once I finish everything and compile some good pictures.

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                                nice, the mesh is a great compliment to the semi-gloss of the dip. I'd clear the mesh if it were me, keep the contrast.
                                Clear the mesh? What do you mean by clear? I was thinking about painting it but I kind of like the silver on the black.
                                Last edited by rottenpixies; 06-19-2013, 08:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                                - Josh

Comment

Working...
                                X