X

Rust!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust!

Ive been working on a 96 750 and they guy i got it from claimed he cleaned out the engine so when i got water damage it didnt rust. However yesterday i was looking and i found insane amounts of what im hoping is just surface rust on the pistons.

My question is whats the easiest way to go about cleaning this and whats the best rust solution to use?
    "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    - Michael Jordan-

My Build: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...02#post2085502

Originally posted by jsilva30 View Post
    Ive been working on a 96 750 and they guy i got it from claimed he cleaned out the engine so when i got water damage it didnt rust. However yesterday i was looking and i found insane amounts of what im hoping is just surface rust on the pistons.

My question is whats the easiest way to go about cleaning this and whats the best rust solution to use?

The easiest way is an electrolysis process... 1/2 cup wash soda to 5 gallons water, negative manual battery charger lead on part, positive manual battery charger lead on an iron bar sitting in the solution, but not touching the parts.

Do in well ventilated area and in about 24 hours you will have no more rust.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok ill try it when i get the engine apart and is wash soda the same thing as baking soda or is it something else? haha
      "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
      - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Originally posted by jsilva30 View Post
        Ok ill try it when i get the engine apart and is wash soda the same thing as baking soda or is it something else? haha

It's something else...

Washing soda can be easily found at the grocery store in the clothes detergent isle. It's cheap too. Get the pur soda option if you can, not with additives or smell goodies...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Start the engine and it will go away?

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            It's something else...

Washing soda can be easily found at the grocery store in the clothes detergent isle. It's cheap too. Get the pur soda option if you can, not with additives or smell goodies...

Krey
            Haha ok thank you!
            - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Ya market basket grocery store carries super washing soda by arm and hammer about 3 bucks a box
              Im not a carburetor guru.

Comment

pistons are aluminum and dont rust.
                if there is rust in the engine, it will need to be rebuilt, plain and simple.
                the crank, rods and cams will rust along with the cylinder walls first.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

did you get the rust out..

Comment

Go ahead and use the stuff with smell goodies. Everyone will think you're eco friendly as you roll past smelling like a flowery meadow.
                    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      The easiest way is an electrolysis process... 1/2 cup wash soda to 5 gallons water, negative manual battery charger lead on part, positive manual battery charger lead on an iron bar sitting in the solution, but not touching the parts.

Do in well ventilated area and in about 24 hours you will have no more rust.

Krey
                      wow that sounds pretty cool. Ill have to do that with some of the parts from my Bronco II project.
                      2006 Katana 600

Comment

I thought Nikasil didnt rust?
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The cylinder walls are steel I believe. More likely what he is seeing on the pistons is residue from rusty gas out of the tank that ran through the carbs and down onto the pistons.
                          03 600rr - SOLD
                          06 RVT RC51 - Totaled by a deer
                          99 Katana 600 - Daily Driver
                          03 SV650s - Newest addiction

Comment

Oh wait, pre 98 cylinders weren't nikasil plated...carry on.

Yeah, your bike is ****ed dude.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
                              Go ahead and use the stuff with smell goodies. Everyone will think you're eco friendly as you roll past smelling like a flowery meadow.
                              - Michael Jordan-

Comment

Working...
                              X