Help, handlebar risers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
    Long-term update. I rode 500Km today.

I love my new bars, they are comfy and the steering is great. BUT!

The levers hit the mirrors when turning at full lock, apparently I do that more than I thought... It's annoying.

I can't see out of my mirrors, unless of course I am looking to check my elbow condition. A flick of the elbow remedies this.

VIBES!!! wow, buzzy bars. Especially at the revs I like to ride.

Took Wild-Bill's advice... That didn't help. I tapped out the bar ends to receive 3/8"? pipe plugs and filled the bars with lead shot, full, not packed, but full. Didn't do hardly any good.

Next I will try to modify my bar end plugs or something to accept M6X1.0 threads and put my bar weights back on.

Other than that, I love the mod I did. I would love to do the back up camera mod and eliminate my mirrors one day, that would fix that problem!
    Sounds great! Get some new mirrors so you can see without elbowing it.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Long-term update. I rode 500Km today.

I love my new bars, they are comfy and the steering is great. BUT!

The levers hit the mirrors when turning at full lock, apparently I do that more than I thought... It's annoying.

I can't see out of my mirrors, unless of course I am looking to check my elbow condition. A flick of the elbow remedies this.

VIBES!!! wow, buzzy bars. Especially at the revs I like to ride.

Took Wild-Bill's advice... That didn't help. I tapped out the bar ends to receive 3/8"? pipe plugs and filled the bars with lead shot, full, not packed, but full. Didn't do hardly any good.

Next I will try to modify my bar end plugs or something to accept M6X1.0 threads and put my bar weights back on.

Other than that, I love the mod I did. I would love to do the back up camera mod and eliminate my mirrors one day, that would fix that problem!

What is the center width on your bars? Just as a frame of reference for my eye, what's the rise & pullback? Overall width?

Sorry for the myraid of questions, but this idea had come to me as an alternative to $400 convertibars. The other issue is finding a brake line. How's your clutch cable? Did you have to put on a longer one?
      sigpic
      "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Is this 750 tree all I need for a good handlebar rise? Or is there more I would need?

Thanks!
        "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
        Chris
        graphic designer | drummer
        2002 Katana 600
        Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

I'll try to answer all your Q's tonight when I get back. busy for a little bit here.

Comment

Ok, I think they are a 3" pullback? That would be from the center of the midpoint to the center of the end of the bar. They are probably about 1.5" rise.

As for the 750 triple tree, I assume it would work and you have to decide what you want. I don't think it would have been quite enough for me to really benefit from it. I believe these are "standard" dirt bike renthal bars.

I think I could go with Bandit 1200 bars, but I didn't have them readily available when I did this mod. It was an experiment and I really like the results. Especially after riding for 7 hours!

PLEASE NOTE!
            I was able to use the factory clip-on bolt holes for the handlebar mounts. I don't think that you would be able to do that with Bandit bars. I believe you would have to machine/drill your own holes closer together in the center to accomodate the narrower center mounting section.

And sorry for the crappy pics, but it is dark here now. Still not bad from my iphone though.

Almost forgot. I spec'd out a 400mm brake hose (Center of banjo to center of banjo) with 22.5* bends in opposite directions at both fittings. It was a little long, but I didn't know exactly where I wanted the finished mounting. I was able to order it from a local auto parts store and got it almost overnight. It was $60 CDN. Worth it I think... and SS braid to boot!

All cables had their routing changed from inside the fork tubes to outside, but none were lengthened.

Anything else I can help with?

I think if I wanted it to look more "factory", I would change to bandit bars, but I like it. It feels badass.

Comment

Jet- thanks for all the answers. 2 more things- first, how much more pullback do you think the bars would need to not hit mirrors at full turn, and would they then hit the tank on the other side? Second, did you have to lengthen your clutch cable?
              sigpic
              "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by clark827 View Post
                Jet- thanks for all the answers. 2 more things- first, how much more pullback do you think the bars would need to not hit mirrors at full turn, and would they then hit the tank on the other side? Second, did you have to lengthen your clutch cable?
                I mentioned I didn't lengthen the cables. If you went for a set of bandit 1200 bars, the mirrors would be safe and you wouldnt have to drill for the controls like I did.

Comment

I mentioned I didn't lengthen the cables. If you went for a set of bandit 1200 bars, the mirrors would be safe and you wouldnt have to drill for the controls like I did.

Gotcha, just missed it on the first read. Thanks again.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok- so I got a set of clamps, which happen to be risers also (convenient, right?) and a bar with a 6.5" center, 5" rise and 10" pullback. The bar is a replacement for an early 80's Kawa cruiser, but it works for the measurements. I have a feeling it'll kinda look like ape hangers on a Kat, but I'm all about comfort. I'm a wh*re like that.

Anyway, this fall when I get home I'll see if I can dig up this post and add my saga, for benefit of future comfortwhores.
                    sigpic

Comment

Post up some pics! Those sound crazy. I thought my bars were huge but still work out ok in the twisties...

Comment

Post up some pics! Those sound crazy. I thought my bars were huge but still work out ok in the twisties...
                        Here's the listing pic of the bar. Looks like I'll have to do something for bar ends, but that's easy enough. Won't be able to work on it until we get back from Iraq. Other than what the wife will have on the to-do list, this will be on the top of mine.

Jet- thanks again for your help to know what the best measurements are for center width, etc. It's pretty hard to figure out when your bike is 6500 miles away!

sigpic

Comment

I had bars like that on my old Honda 750-four
                          My YouTube Videos
                          My motorcyle map!

Comment

Thank you for the write up... I've been considering a similar mod, you have inspired me to go for it!
                            95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                            Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                            ---
                            I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                              Thank you for the write up... I've been considering a similar mod, you have inspired me to go for it!
                              It was way easier than I thought, but if your center spread on your bars is narrower than mine, you will have to drill the triple tree for the clamps. I used the factory handle bar mount holes.

And no more sore neck for me. I can go 8 hours now. Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by nkir6674 View Post
                                Hate to jump in and ask the same things but, Is it my understanding that u can put a 98-06, 750 triple tree on a 600 and get a 2inch rise? I want risers but dont wanna spend alot of money for just a 1inch or so.
                                i got a "lowering kit" for a 'Busa from soupy's sales.com. basically 1" spacers and bolts to raise the bar mount for my 98 750. works great. about $28 shipped when i got mine.
                                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                                X