Katana of the Month - February 2008  Dane-Kat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to KatRiders.com! We're glad you found us!
Please take a minute to introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
smithsession8
Skid Mark

Default New Member w/ an Ugly Kat w/ potential!

I just started riding in April of this year. Been wanting a motorcycle for a year or so and managed to hold on to my tax return long enough to take a safety course, get my endorsement, and buy a used bike and the proper riding equipment. I started off with an 04 Kawasaki Ninja 250 and rode the hell out of it through the summer. It was unfortunately stolen in August and I was bikeless for a while.
Recently I've been in love with the streetfighter look (from the browsing I've done here I'm a minority, but hopefully not a heretic!) and naked bikes in general. I wasn't in a position to buy a new bike, but there was a hole in my heart, and it was indeed motorcycle shaped. So I kept browsing KSL (the craigslist of Utah) and found a seller who was open to trade for a gun (as much as it pained me to part with one of my beauties). I traded the least favorite of my rifles and it wasn't worth a lot and I wanted a bigger engine so I ended up with a beater of a motorcycle.

Enter my '98 Suzuki GSX600F Katana: The fairings are missing (for me not an issue as I was going naked anyways) but the headlight looks atrocious and the gauge cluster can't mount without the fairings. Additionally the tail light only lights when breaking and I need to mount a license plate. Found out that my throttle sticks to the point that I can set a cruise control with it hahaha, but not so bad as that I noticed it riding for a couple days shorter distances. Then add in a need for some front flashers and the fact that it just needs some mechanical tuning and we have a big project for a university student with no money or time XD.
I am currently thinking I'll put a MT-03 headlight on the bike and a trail tech vapor for my gauge cluster. I still need to figure out how to mount either of those, the headlight having only incredibly expensive mounts and the vapor not having any mounts for clip on bars like my own, so if you know any threads or have advice there, I'd appreciate it. Additionally, I still need that taillight, flashers, and license plate solution, but I have yet to truly look into that part myself. Part of my end goal involves a new coat of black paint on the tank, and then I want to do the frame and wheels in red, reminiscent of a ducati monster. I'll probably take off all the mounting brackets for the plastics as they don't hold value for me anymore.

I admittedly have relatively little knowledge mechanically. I put people back together, not machines (EMT) haha. But everyone starts somewhere, right? I'm looking forward to learning from y'all and I can provide comic relief in the meantime and maybe one day be able to contribute to the forum!

PS the pics appear absolutely ridiculously large on my comp, and makes it really hard to read.
If this is the same for everyone else and you know how to fix that, please let me know how!

Last edited by smithsession8; 10-08-2017 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
smithsession8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
92xjunker
Kat King

eBay ID: guysmustang

Hope you have a lot of free time and money to street fight it. Being a college student in would just put fairings on it, fix what needs addressed and ride it.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Heeltoeclutch
Katrider

Hey, welcome. I have been working on a similar project, although sounds like you're starting with something mostly mechanically sound, which is nice.

I like the naked look, and it makes it easier to get to things on the bike too! A different headlight and various other bits will make it look much less confused. I'm hopefully getting close to that point on my bike too
Heeltoeclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
shpielers
Kat Legend

Welcome

People have made several posts about installing Koso units, search around and you should be able to find something helpful.

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsession8 View Post
PS the pics appear absolutely ridiculously large on my comp, and makes it really hard to read.
If this is the same for everyone else and you know how to fix that, please let me know how!
Go to imgur.com
Sign in.
Go to Albums
Select Albums of pics you posted
Hover mouse over a pic, upper left side will be a down arrow.
Hover over down arrow, select Edit Image.
Upper left side has the dimensions of the pic. Click the first number, reduce it to 800 or less. Keep Lock Proportions checked.
Click Save at top of page above pic.
Repeat process on each pic. Since they are linked, it will auto update for here.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
smithsession8
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjunker View Post
Hope you have a lot of free time and money to street fight it. Being a college student in would just put fairings on it, fix what needs addressed and ride it.
A full set of fairings would cost around 400 bucks as far as I can tell then I'd need a new tail light anyways. I can put all that into a headlight, gauge cluster and a tail light if this one can't be rewired and be happier with the end product. Plus. Then it's "mine" haha.
Time is, of course, still a concern, but I'll manage one way or another! I tend to make time for things I love, and since I ain't got a woman in my life, I should have a decent amount to dedicate to the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeltoeclutch View Post
Hey, welcome. I have been working on a similar project, although sounds like you're starting with something mostly mechanically sound, which is nice.

I like the naked look, and it makes it easier to get to things on the bike too! A different headlight and various other bits will make it look much less confused. I'm hopefully getting close to that point on my bike too
Mostly sound. The idle has been a bit finicky, and it doesn't seem to drop it's rpm as fast as my last bike did (eg. if I crank on the throttle in neutral it'll shoot up in rpm but comes back down slowly). Any idea what I should be looking at for that?
Otherwise standard things to look at when picking up a used bike. And I admittedly still have to do all those things haha.

I'm excited to see how your bike goes, I'll be checking it out and keeping a tab on it so I can get some advice on my own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpielers View Post
Welcome

People have made several posts about installing Koso units, search around and you should be able to find something helpful.
Excellent, my current electrical knowledge is lacking, so I'll be sure to look that up! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
Go to imgur.com
Sign in.
Go to Albums
Select Albums of pics you posted
Hover mouse over a pic, upper left side will be a down arrow.
Hover over down arrow, select Edit Image.
Upper left side has the dimensions of the pic. Click the first number, reduce it to 800 or less. Keep Lock Proportions checked.
Click Save at top of page above pic.
Repeat process on each pic. Since they are linked, it will auto update for here.

Krey
Hey thanks, I followed your advice, but I haven't seen it update here. I assume it just needs a little while to update. If it isn't fixed tomorrow I might edit the post and just reattach the pics. Hopefully that will take care of it!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #7
shpielers
Kat Legend

RPMs bring slow to drop it hanging are usually from running lean, and usually from an air leak somewhere. Could also be the carbs need syncing
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
JIB
Kat King

Welcome
JIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
smithsession8
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpielers View Post
RPMs bring slow to drop it hanging are usually from running lean, and usually from an air leak somewhere. Could also be the carbs need syncing
Thanks, I was just reading the same in HeelToeClutch's thread. Hoping I can get that taken care of soon!

I did just order a headlight, indicator/gauge cluster, some brackets I can hopefully use for the headlight, some reflective tape for daytime sexy and nighttime visibility, some bar ends and bar-end mirrors. Hopefully be able to get to work end of next week. I have some hunting to do this weekend and it'll take that long for the parts to arrive anyways!
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions