X

leather vs mesh or textile?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leather vs mesh or textile?

I wannna leather jacket cause more protection so i am told.but how hott does it get with em on a hot summer day.other jacket,iam not to sure they have enough protection.keep in mind i ride the freeway to work everyday.need input.what is a good site for good prices on jackets

You're in Mi , it's not gonna get too hot for a good perf leather jacket . As long as you're moving , 95 degress isn't unbearable .
    As far as sites , we like Newenough quite a bit around here ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

www.newenough.com for motorcycle clothing purchases.
      As to your other questions, its all a matter of personal preferences and price. Plenty of leather jackets have ventilation, which can provide plenty of cooling. I wouldn't wear a leather jacket in 110 degree weather while driving in slow, stop and go traffic mind you.
      The rest is determined by the weather in your area, length of riding, etc.
      Most people I think have several sets of gear for a variety of weathers.

Comment

Everything in life is a compromise. If you're more concerned with protection, wear the leather and sweat. If you're more concerened with comfort, wear mesh and accept the increased risk of road rash. Mesh is better than nothing, but don't expect it to hold up at anything above the speeds you typically ride around town.

I've yet to find a single jacket that works to my satisfaction for all occasions. That's why I've got leather, textile, and mesh jackets in my gear closet. For around town riding in the summer, I'm usually in a jacket with mesh on the torso and perfed leather sleeves.
        I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

thanks guys leather it is.

Comment

I'm up in Ontario and I rode the last two years in a speedmaster jacket and perf leather pants. You get use them as time go by. But to be honest the only time you really notice the heat is when stopped, or in stop and go traffic.

Once you moving the vents do a good job on keeping you cool. A lot of the guys buy those under armour T-shirts and they help alot by wicking the sweat away from your skin.
            Kyle

Comment

I prefer leather, but as a spare jacket I do own a mesh.
              Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

I bought the Power Trip Voodoo jacket. It has leather in the arms, shoulders and back while having mesh all around the torso. It's a compromise solution that is acceptable when the weather gets too hot.
                "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

usualy i wear a wife beater n flip flops! lol.
                  just fooln id go wit leather.i hear da icon motor head has good vents.thats da 1 im gowin for.
                  << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                  KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

chicks dig leather...badbilly has bought me TWO leather jackets!

+1 to everything woobie said....I HAD textile AND mesh gear to SUPPLEMENT my gear collection (like Wingspan), but I got rid of them, I never used them!

Comment

Canada summer is a bit different than Deep South summer though. If I had the money I'd get an Alpinestars Stage jacket.
                      What the deuce!?!

Comment

i just a mesh jacket, the cortech gxair...it is very versatile with 2 liners, leather on the shoulders, fore arms and back with CE rated armour. It is a great all around jacket. If you are a bit tight on a budget, I got it for 139.00. I will probably get a leather for colder weather, but so far, the mesh with the liners is pretty warm.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by bamarama
                          Canada summer is a bit different than Deep South summer though. If I had the money I'd get an Alpinestars Stage jacket.
                          We all rode in Tennesee in the stupid heat and humidity....as long as you are moving, it is fine!

doesn't really matter WHAT you have...it is USELESS unless you wear it.

If you are NOT going to wear leather, get something that you will wear.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR

Comment

I just got the Cortech GX Sport Rainproof jacket with a removable liner for about $140. It has vents every where on it. Warm as heck or cool as you want to make it. On a hot sunny day or even when it is cold and raining. Oh and it's armored in the elbows, shoulders, and spine. Great all weather jacket with reflective cords all around.
                            2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                            Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                            "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                            Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                            Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                            "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

I have been wearing Joe Rocket textile jacket and pants...along with riding gloves and boots...I love them. I have been looking for some leathers for a while now, but to tell you the truth it's always so darn hot here in So Calif that I wonder if I'll ever wear them. Seriously, there have been times when it was 95 degrees on Christmas

Also, I have been hit from behind by a vehicle, knocked off my bike while I was doing 50mph on a freeway off ramp...they lunatic drove off, fled the scene...but two witnesses and I were amazed because I had just a few bruises. The Joe Rocket textile did a great job of protecting me. I just think leathers will protect me at normal freeway speeds...I would still be skeptical about the textile at those speeds.

Hopefully you don't live someplace as hot as hell as here in So Calif...
                              Wishing you the very best always 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X