X

lowering seat ?? corbin ?? help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowering seat ?? corbin ?? help

OK im gonna get lowering dogbones for arsnic and now am considering i might want to lower the seat

can someone explain to me how is a seat shaved

or what seats are good for this

ive heard of corbin but can someone tell me more about them

also i will be adding a seat cowl so i need it to fit on the seat

any suggestions

If you are getting lowering links I would not really recommend the Corbin as it is a wider seat and may interfere with you being able to flat foot. This is still present even though the Corbin is actually a lower seat. You can see the difference in this little post I made. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...highlight=tmod

Tmod

Comment

Although the corbin can be custom-built for a shorter inseam (a bit narrower at the horn to compensate), it isn't the ideal solution to compensate for a short inseam.

The best solutions:
      (A) Lower-profile tires (half inch off the height of the bike without affecting the stability) - use 120/60ZR17 and 150/60ZR17 in the right weight ratings.
      (B) Lowering links (neoublie), which alters the angle of the rear shock so it's stroke is more parallel to the ground and reducing the ride height in the rear. Match to a small drop in the front (combine with stiffer fork springs if you are heavy-set as well as short-inseamed).
      (C) Taller boot soles. Seriously. A 1/2" taller sole on a good riding/working/combat boot, such as WW2 tanker boots, is a half inch you don't need to compromise the bike with.
      (D) Stock seat shaving - remove the vinyl cover, either shave down the existing foam some (if you're not heavy-set), or replace it with a less-compacting piece of thinner foam in general (we have foam expert around here somewhere), then recover.
      (E) Get a different bike that's better suited to your inseam.

If you give us an idea of your actual inseam measurement, we can come up with a good combo specifically for you, or tell you whether all the options combined won't make sufficient difference to make the Kat a safe ride for you.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

spell my name right :, it aint hard

Comment

WOW POET GREAT ADVISE
          WELL MY INSEAM IS 28 1/2 OR 29 I THINK WITH THESE everything should be perfect
          cant wait to see how it feels thanks

Comment

If you go boot shopping, look for steel toes, steel heel, and something that goes a ways up your leg tightly. Plus an high-grip sole that is oil-compatible.

I specifically use Cove-HH WW2 Tanker Boots.

You can probably find them in a local army-surplus store if you search (will let you fit them to your feet). Note that since they are military-grade, you can get them in any size and any width (part of the reason I wear them is that my feet are particularly wide and finding a EEEE-width dedicated riding boot is impossible from any of the major motorcycle boot vendors).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This post is exactly what I was looking for. Yes, I know it's old, but I do have a 28 1/2 inseam. I am a bit heavy (280 range). But for me, removing the seat put me flat footed with a very small amount of bend to my knees.
              After being in the military, my *** has been hardened thanks to cushion-less seats. I wouldn't mind shaving the seat to accomplish being able to be flat footed. My confidence would got up a ton.
              I don't want to lower the bike itself cause, being heavier, I'm afraid a bump or aggressive cornering might screw me in the end.
              Taller boots, well, I'm going to stay away from those. Think about it. Tough boots don't flex as much. So I'd be there in boots on the toe's. No thank you, pass.

Plus this gives me a chance to do some work on the bike myself....always a good thing.

Comment

Working...
              X