X

Vibration in grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration in grips

on my 96, I can not ride it for longer than 10-15 minutes without my hands going numb, It actually hurts to ride it. Its a pretty nasty vibration in the bars and grips that is not road or speed related. Any Ideas on what to do to stop this and any recommendation on a new set of grips?
    1992 Katana 600
    1996 Katana 600
    1995 Shadow 600 VLX

bar ends

Do you have your bar end weights? I have a 94 and it is missing the weights so it has a pretty wicked hum. It's a place to start, otherwise gel gloves or grips would help.

Also it could be a little lean?

Comment

+1 for zombee

The bar weights make a huge difference... And as stated check your motor lean is mean!
      1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
      1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
      Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

how old is your oil and air filter ? usually it calms the bike down to change those if they are old.
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

My front tire was worn funny a while back and unballanced. After replacing and ballancing my vibes went away.
          "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

had same problem... added back the bar end weights the po removed for 'custom flashy craptacular grips'...and added new gel based grips... now.. im good to go !!
            "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

this isnt so much a bike mechanical reply as it is a body mechanic im a painter had carpol tunnel surgery on one hand , the bike shop owners dad rides a harley and he and i were talking about grips cuz i was having numbing issues as well he replys and seemed valid where 1) a bigger grip thicker so your hand didnt squeeze so small 2) get all vibrations out ie with tuning bike bar ends balancing tires 3) get my other hand fixed the #1 worked for me but he had both hands done 3 yrs ago and hasnt had a prob since

Comment

I will attest to the bar end weights. By 1100 is missing one. There is definitely an annoying vibration in the one side that is missing.

Right now I am looking for a replacement.
                '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Bar ends.
                  Tune-up.
                  Stop slouching, squeeze the tank with your knees, relax your arms and loosen up your grip on the bars.

Everyone talks about gel-based grips but I've gotten just as good results with a new set of OEM grips. After about 5 years any grips are going to harden up and lose their cushioning. Aftermarket guys make their money off people who don't think about this and just decide their old OEM grips aren't very good because they came stock when it's just that the things are 20 years old.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

on my gsxr1100 i had some mad vibrations, i picked up a set of 10oz. bar end weights (10 each) and the problem is almost 100% gone

Comment

Mine still has the bar end weights, they are polished but dont know if they are the originals, I have a set of originals on the 92 I might yank off and see if theres a weight difference.
                      1992 Katana 600
                      1996 Katana 600
                      1995 Shadow 600 VLX

Comment

Working...
                      X