X

Ethanol - A "new" issue to look for...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbgarretson View Post
    Does anyone know why Its E85 and not E100?

Ethanol 85%... because it's only 85% ethanol by volume.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
      They call it "Shell V Power" some kind of nitrogen enriched formula
      or something but it works for me!
      'V Power' is just a fancy-named replacement for 'Super Unleaded' There's also a 'fuel save' label on some of their pumps but it's all churned out to the same BS number (Just this once, that's for British Standard, and not Bull Sh't )

Comment

well thats obviously true but what I Should have said is does anyone know why its not 100% ethanol by volume?

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Ethanol 85%... because it's only 85% ethanol by volume.

Krey
        wrecked em hell, damn near killed em.

Comment

well thats obviously true but what I Should have said is does anyone know why its not 100% ethanol by volume?

In general... the "numbers" do not work out to be able to 100% support a full replacement of all petrol with ethanol... so it's blended (at this time). There simply is not enough US natural resources to support it without it causing a food supply issue at this time. As with anything though, that can change as more focus and direction chagnes towards that.

It's certainly possible that the vehicles can run 100% ethanol that are designed for it.

It's been mentioned serveral times in this thread about "brazil" and the ability of cars there to run on it... and they do, and have for the last 30 years. With vehichles DESIGNED to do that.

US cars were not.

US vehicles thus have issues using the ethanol.... except the few that have recently been made specifically as "flex fuel" vehicles, or have had after market conversions added.

I don't know of a flex fuel US sold motorcycle at this time... some one got a link?

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Its actually because if it were 100% ethanol there would have to be an whisky tax on it, being that you could actually drink it. It would be moonshine. Any flexfuel car could run on it being that the computer controls the air fuel ration and based on its precalculated algorithm would pulse the injectors on longer to give more fuel based on the fact it takes more alcohol (fuel) to keep the vehicle running at stoichometric.

Comment

ethanol is officially the worst ideal ever in my opnion

Comment

Its actually because if it were 100% ethanol there would have to be an whisky tax on it, being that you could actually drink it. It would be moonshine. Any flexfuel car could run on it being that the computer controls the air fuel ration and based on its precalculated algorithm would pulse the injectors on longer to give more fuel based on the fact it takes more alcohol (fuel) to keep the vehicle running at stoichometric.
                Ethanol is "De-natured grain alchohol".... and thus is tax exempt even at "100 %" (it's only 90.5% aprox by volum pure grain alchol when denatured with 9.5% additives.) It's been tax exempt for a long time.

E100 is not 100% grain alchohol.... it's 100% ethanol. (another way of saying it for clarity...)

Krey
                Last edited by Kreylyn; 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM.
                93 750 Kat

Comment

I think the reason is because pure ethanol doesn't vaporize well at low temperatures and adding the gas helps cold starts. Yeah, they sell 100% ethanol in brazil, heard all about it, but they don't get the temp drops that we get here. This morning,woke up to 22 degrees, I doubt a car on e100 would start in that, just wait until February when it gets below 0 (that's when my Jetta diesel really starts to sound funky).

Comment

Its not grain alcohol its corn alcohol,for example corn whiskey. which is drinkable at a pure 100% solution. Not that I reccomend trying it. Methanol is what modified and some drag cars use for fuel.
                    Last edited by jbgarretson; 10-27-2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Its not grain alcohol its corn alcohol,for example corn whiskey. which is drinkable at a pure 100% solution. Not that I reccomend trying it. Methanol is what modified and some drag cars use for fuel.

Grain alcohol, "corn" alcohol, ethyl alcohol, drinking alchohol.... all the same thing, and it what I meant to say. Made from anything that is startchy really... corn, potatoes, rice, wheat, malt, etc... turn the starch into sugars, ferment the sugars = ethyl alcohol.

I mistakenly added the M... didn't mean too, and corrected my prior post.

Sorry...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Having idle/lack of power issues while driving after filling up my tank last night for the first time since i got this bike. It actually was pretty scary today for me riding. I was driving and it started to lose power even while i was increasing the throttle, i thought maybe im in to high of a gear as i was only doing about 35mph. I down shift and at that point it had completely died out and caused the rear tire to lock up which lead to me fish tailing and nearly going down. I know it had to be the new gas because it happened last night as well right after the fill up but i just clutched it and rolled to a stop, let the bike sit for a few minutes rode it home and that was that.

My idle was perfect before, i mean as perfect as i've ever had anything idle. Now i cant even get the freaking thing to stay on without holding the throttle. I am going to mess around with it tomorrow when i've got daylight and won't annoy the neighborhood with my loud exhaust.

I have been down once before and after today i am kind of scared. I feel like i could have been seriously hurt if that had happened on the turnpike. I want to ride so bad and im going to continue to keep doing so on a daily basis but this just blows. I feel like ive just bought a rodeo bull for a second vehicle, i just hope that i dont catch a horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

It's certainly possible that the vehicles can run 100% ethanol that are designed for it.

It's been mentioned serveral times in this thread about "brazil" and the ability of cars there to run on it... and they do, and have for the last 30 years. With vehichles DESIGNED to do that.

US cars were not.

US vehicles thus have issues using the ethanol.... except the few that have recently been made specifically as "flex fuel" vehicles, or have had after market conversions added.

I don't know of a flex fuel US sold motorcycle at this time... some one got a link?

Krey

Where Katanas offer in Brazil that were designed to run off of Ethanol ?
                          If so, what are the differences ? I was just wondering if this will lead us here in the U.S.A searching for Brazilian parts to counter the effects.

Also Krey, I'm thinking since your in the mountains that your having bigger issues than alot of us. I know when it rains here my bike runs like crap. As you said, the Ethanol seems to be attracting the moisture.
                          Are you still running the California carbs? Could that be another factor?

Heres the link to a American built Ethanol bike. I'm surprised you didn't know about this one. I thought all bikers watched American Chopper on Discovery channel

Last edited by katanarider; 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM.
                          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

BUMP!!!

This subject is almost wothy of sticky status IMHO. I've been developing problems with mine, just like this. Except that I have zero mechanical skills and haven't yet dared do anything more complicated than an oil change. Messing with carbs will only be done either (A) if someone walks me through it, or (B) the Kat fully breaks, collects dust for a while and I have nothing else to lose.

The problems started Oct 29 '10 (I remember the date b/c I was en route to a halloween party), was coming to a stop and WHAM-WHAM-WHAM sounded like I had a fist-sized wooden block bouncing in the fairings between my knees. After that I've had a slowly increasing problem with startups, throttle hesitation and general roughness esp idle/low speeds. Yes I can still hit triple digits plus, but the power's draining.

Am I doing the bike a small favor by riding constantly (never ever sits more than one week at most) to help keep stuff from goo-ing up? Any more results regarding products/ideas to help this?
                            The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

Stabil Marine is a fuel additive for E10 in carbed engines. got mine at walmart.
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Stabil marine is always in my tank.
                                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X