X

which oil do u run?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which oil do u run?

Ok so I last time I changed my oil I got it at the motorcycle shop it was the castrol semi synthetic I thought it was full but anyways I am about to hit 26000 miles and its time to change so whay do u recomend? Let the argumebts begin haha thats all im seeing reading about oils argument after argument
    I just wanna ride my bike
    2001 katana 600

I run full synthetic. Mobil One is preferred but Castrol and Lucas are second. I'll settle for semi-synthetic or natural if the hunt becomes to wary. Sometimes I'll throw some of the Lucas thickener in it. Always run a WiX Oil Filter. I choose full synthetic because it holds up to heat better than natural oils, and an oil-cooled bike like ours can get quite hot.

At the end of the day there really isn't an argument to be had about oils. Everyone owns their *own* vehicle, and is free to do whatever they want to it, run whatever they want in it, and run it however they want.There is, however, a healthy discussion.
    I have a bud of mine who swears by SuperTech (Walmart) if you're going natural oils because it has the most additives, but chooses WiX filters. I have another buddy who swears by Castrol and filter or no oil change, and yet another who prefers Mobil One.
    Last edited by Purplehaze; 10-20-2014, 08:43 PM.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
      I run full synthetic. Mobil One is preferred but Castrol and Lucas are second. I'll settle for semi-synthetic or natural if the hunt becomes to wary. Sometimes I'll throw some of the Lucas thickener in it. Always run a WiX Oil Filter. I choose full synthetic because it holds up to heat better than natural oils, and an oil-cooled bike like ours can get quite hot.

At the end of the day there really isn't an argument to be had about oils. Everyone owns their *own* vehicle, and is free to do whatever they want to it, run whatever they want in it, and run it however they want.There is, however, a healthy discussion.
      I have a bud of mine who swears by SuperTech (Walmart) if you're going natural oils because it has the most additives, but chooses WiX filters. I have another buddy who swears by Castrol and filter or no oil change, and yet another who prefers Mobil One.
      What is wix

Oh ok I see it at oreileys

Im looking up the wix filter it only shows for katana 750 is it the same for the 600
      Last edited by Jar3d200; 10-20-2014, 09:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      2001 katana 600

Comment

As far as I know it's the same filter for the 600 and 750, pre and post. And the 1100. There is an old thread of people dissecting used filters and comparing the innards - the Wix ones looked to be on par/better than more expensive ones. They were what I was running before seeing that thread, and what I've kept running since.

As far as oil, I've been running rotella t6 for the last ~15k miles. Like Purplehaze said, synthetics hold up better to heat and the Kats are oil cooled...as long as it's changed frequently and always kept topped off, (and not an energy conserving car oil) probably doesn't matter toooo much what oil you run.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I run the K&N filter and Rottela T6 oil in my kat.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Btw, rotella has a $5 off coupon on the bottle (mail in rebate) that runs through the end of the month.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Amsoil of the factory prescribed weight with an OEM filter. Hasn't blowed up yet, seems to work fine...

Comment

Any quality name brand oil and normally a K&N filter because that's what my local supplier stocks for my bike. So far no problems.

Comment

All Lucas 20-40. Even Lucas chain lube. K&N is fine for the oil, I use K&N or WIX
                  Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-21-2014, 09:04 PM.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks guys
                    2001 katana 600

Comment

Amsoil every 4k in my 600. However... I have used mobil 1 and oem Suzuki oil in the past. I ride year round and when it gets below 20 degrees amsoil seems to do very well, but I would be full of shit to say I could tell the difference otherwise.

Comment

I run AMSOIL and only AMSOIL. I can tell a big difference..

Comment

Working...
                        X