X

Need a exhaust for dummies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a exhaust for dummies

Alright so to give a idea how this came to be, I have a friend who has a 01 750. They use a 7$ pipe from autozone and I liked the rumble it has at idle. I put it on taking off my two brothers, I drove it to the store, talked to a exhaust guy there, and went home doing research. I've read that it isn't enough back pressure, it can burn up the valves, and do piston problems. ( I wasn never going to leave on that 7$ pipe, just testing what a straight or shorty might sound like before I dropped $$$) my friend has been using that pipe for four months no problems yet. I put my two brother back on and it's running hot and back firing like it was with the 7$ pipe. Note: I have done the carbs and valves but not synced carbs yet till I settled on a new exhaust. Have I causes any damage running that small pipe in such a short time? Could it be that the problem is that the exhaust isn't seated into the header right? The pipe is too hot to touch after 30 min of easy riding. So my question is that what could cause my pipe to be hot and to not sound entirely right. When I took my pipe off I laid it on the porch and then took it and laid it down onto carpet, I shook the pipe and sounds like something is loose but causes no rattle when bolted down. Thanks for reading just trying to learn and figure out what I've done wrong.

No, what did you set your air mixture screws at. 2.5 is a great starting point.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Sync on the carbs will not change due to exhaust changes. I'd get that done and see where you are.

Comment

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. You removed a Two Brother pipe, which in my opinion is one of the best sounding pipes on the market. To "try out" a piece of shit $7 dollar VatoZone straight pipe. If you like the piece of shit straight pipe, you would remove the $7 pipe and add a $14 dollar custom "turn down" exhaust? Before moving on, let me clarify. The $7 dollar VatoZone pipe and a custom "turn down" exhaust are the same shit. Anyway, I"m trying to fathom why you thought that was a good idea.
        Last edited by arsenic; 08-29-2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I honestly no nothing of air mixture screws, I've seen it mentioned in other posts and will read up on the manual on this. I figured syncing the carbs with the exhaust on it I want would be better but I'll do it first. No arsenic it wasn't the best idea but I had my brother egging me on about it, as I never stated getting a custom turn down. I just meant buying a actually shorty exhaust from a named brand or making one. I like the rumble of straight pipes and I do like my two brothers exhaust. We all have our own opinions, I knew leaving the pipe on would be a dummy move so this why I removed it only after 30 mins. We all make mistakes, this is only my first real bike. Before this was a ninja 250. I'm just experimenting learning what's best, what's right, and how to work on bike my self.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcycle mike View Post
            what's best, what's right
            You're probably going to have tuning issues running a stubby - it'll make it run lean. Might not be the easiest thing to just jump into if you don't have prior carb tuning experience.

Kudos for trying to learn how to wrench. Gotta start somewhere, you happened to pick something that won't be super straightforward though.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Hey man, I'm not saying you are stupid personally at all. I just mean that idea is fucking stupid. I'm all about experimenting with things to find what works. However, there is a fine line between experimentation and doing dumb shit for no reason. This case is the latter. It's common sense, dig deep bro, I know it's in there.

Comment

We've all experimented with stupid shit, IE pod filters. Hell if I didn't my bike would be a plain katana. Even if it was a failure, you did learn from it so, it wasn't a total failure. If you're going to run a shorty can, get a jet kit also, just not a dynojet kit.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Sorry, just a quick side note. You had your brother egging you on? Are we in 6th grade? Part of being a grown ass man is being able to look friends/family squarely in the eyes and saying "that's fucking stupid, man." My best friends have come up with the dumbest shit imaginable. So have I, but every time I had a dumbass idea, somebody told me it was fucking stupid. So we did something else and life goes on.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 08-29-2015, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Well I don't know about you guys but I'm not even old enough to drink, not that it matters but just shows how much little knowledge I have about this stuff. Yea this isn't 6th grade but I always loved the way it sounded as I love loud bikes. Anyways I did it, I liked it, and knew it was bad so I took it off. I have a stage two jet on the bike with a k&n filter. I've tore my carbs apart and cleaned them as well as set my valves on my bike. I'll be looking at the manual tomorrow, plan on taking it to the shop soon to have it synced then go from there. I also on a side note did tell him it was stupid and that he can go blow his own engine up with it. He clearly doesn't care.
                    Last edited by Motorcycle mike; 08-30-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Second screw up, dump that piece of crap K&N filter. It's doing more harm than good. Third .... Stage 2, it's most likely a dynojunk jet kit, not saying it won't work but, it takes a lot more time to tune that kit properly. Especially if you're inexperienced on carbs
                      Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-30-2015, 03:14 PM.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

beyond the possibility of a dyonjet kit, stage 2 doesn't exist. It's either stage 1 or stage 3. With pods it should be stage 3. It still won't work, but that's what dynojet tells you will work. Judging by the previous comments, I have my doubts it's a stage 3 kit.

Comment

Well, What type of filter would you suggest? Honestly I don't know what stage is on the carbs, I don't really know how to tell the difference. It's what was told to me when I bought the bike, but I didn't buy it for it's Jet kit or Exhaust. I loved the way the bike looked and felt so I chose it. If you have a recommendation of a type of Filter I should use or consider. I'd be happy to check it out.

Comment

Standard OEM Suzuki paper filter is what works best in the Kats. Kats are like the perfect date, only require the cheaper things.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Emgo filters are OEM style - and cheap. ~$20 on bikebandit.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                              X