LED front parking light replacement information

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED front parking light replacement information

Finally time for a proper write up.

For those who have been following, I've been building these LED clusters to replace the 5W bulb in the front parking light (the center light right above the headlights on 98+ kats). Here's the history.

First try: 8x(3mm) LED's, 2x (86ohm2W) resistors
    try:

Results:
    It's pretty blueish compared to the headlight, would probably look good with a sylvania sylverstar bulb. It's not terribly bright so its pretty much good for aesthetics only. I wanted more lighting and had a lot of LED's to burn so moving on. (Gave this one to a friend for a pint of beer and wings)

Second try: 32x(3mm) LED's, 4x (86ohm2W) resistors

Results:
    Okay, this one was MUCH brighter but its not as bright as the picture makes it look. I actually used the wrong sized resistors as they are supposed to be 56 ohm and 1W should be suffice. Anyways, I had this on my bike and some of them started burning out so I figured it was due to the improperly sized resistors. The path of knowledge continues.

Some of the LED's I built for other members:

Third try: 16x(5mm) LED 1x(56ohm1W) +2x(86ohm2)resistors
    Results:
    This one was built with the center 8 LED's on the 56ohm resistor and the outer 8 (four on each side) built with the 86 ohm resistor. After a while the center 8 stopped working so I am VERY confused now. After some research, I discovered that apparently wiring LED's in parallel isnt the best way to do things because not all LED's are made equal and current has a tendency to move towards the LED with the least resistance. Also in combination with this, there is a fluctuation in voltage from the alternator that can cause spikes in voltages that can damage the LED's.

Fourth try: 7x(5mm) LED 7x(333ohm1/2W) resistors
    Since at the time I couldnt get to the electronics store, the only LED I could wire was a 7 LED cluster. Wiring this was a complete female pooch and I wasnt planning on keeping it for very long so I just used the old LED's from the 16 cluster before.

In the end, only one of these burnt out which is probably due to me re-using damaged LED's.

Fifth try: 24x(5mm) LED+ 8x(56ohm1/4W) resistors + 1x(12V) regulator
    This is the current one I'm using. This time I've wired everything into series instead of parallel, used more resistors, and added a voltage regulator in the wire to make sure the input voltage stays at 12V. I also dremeled a bit of the inside of the housing just to make everything fits better. The LED's are directional anyways to the silver reflective housing really serves no purpose anyways.

Here's a few pictures

The wiring diagram:

12V Voltage regulators:

Some action pics:

I think I've addressed every issue except for heat sinking the LED's to ensure they dont overheat. This is by far the brightest LED cluster I've built so far and hopefully the most durable. Because I've discovered these problems in LED's, I wont be selling any more to members until I'm satisfied that the design is perfect. For those that I have already sold clusters to, I'm sending out voltage regulators to them for free just to reduce the voltage spiking and hopefully prolong the life of these LED's.

Actually these LED's are pretty blinding and they point straight forward so I'll be installing a switch later to turn them off when I go on group rides (or am waiting behind a cop car) so I dont get in trouble :P

I sure am going through a lot of LED's, circuitboards, and resistors to figure all this out but I'm sure in the end, it'll be worth it.

OH, and I've replaced all my dash lights with LED's too, I am VERY happy with how this turned out. There is no light behind the odometer display so I simply wired an extra LED to behind that one.

Well that's it for now, hope this helps anyone trying to build their own LED clusters. All comments are welcome

wow this look good
    power is nothing w/o control

Comment

Do you make LED brake light sets to?
      97 Katana 600 F

Comment

Wow...that 24 is REALLY bright! Mine is a 16-LED, right? hopefully once I get the VR in, it'll last all summer!

If you get a chance, can you post up how to to the LED dash? I'd like to do mine with all blue-LED backlighting, but I don't wanna screw anything up...
        FrankenKat 1216
        GS Fiter 816
        GSXR750! (race)

Comment

wow im impressed. i really want to begin making my own LED set-ups. i bought two rear blinkers with 24 LED's in each and i dont feel like they are bright enough. but if i get the hang of the LED's i plan to replace the LED's inside the signals to make it much brighter. also i was curious are these blinkers most likely going to burn out soon since they have no resistors that i know of? they also blink very quickly
          "you build a life of success a day at a time"
          Tim Hultz

Comment

they'll probably last a while since they arent always on but with no resistors, they will still burn out prematurely (as opposed to the rated 100000hour usage of LED's if they're wired properly)

Comment

Working...
            X