X

Rustoleum paint job help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustoleum paint job help

hi there im trying to do a brand new paint job(from bare metal) will this combination work?

Rustoleum clean metal primer(oil based/mineral spirits)
    Rustoleum Latex based paint
    What top/clear coat should i use (i hear Spar Utheraine only lasts a year or so and should not be put on paint)

anyone know a good place to get decent topcoat for cheap?

I'm dumb when it comes to auto paint, but I think in general it's not a good idea to put oil based on top of water based.

If you insist on a rattle can job, you might wanna look into the car spray paint that places like autozone would have. I recently painted some race fairings for my bike and on the first try I went with Krylon Fusion. Wouldn't be ideal on a tank, but it's good stuff and adheres well to plastic and fiberglass, just doesn't have the finish I was going for. Sanded it down.

Then went to autozone and used the typical primer, base, clear and got better results... for spray paint anyways. Also, try to stay within the same brand, some primers and colors might not agree.
    '01 TL1000R

Comment

I would go with Dupli-color (that's the automotive paint). It's designed to work with metal, fiberglass, and ABS (cars tend to have some of all three). There is also primer, color, and clear so you know that there won't be any compatibility issues.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

well rustoleum makes colored enamel and baremetal primer, however they do not reccomend putting a coat of enamel over the primer or should i sand down to bare metal and use a colored enamel plus a topcoat?

Comment

I wouldn't leave out the primer. That paint I used from autozone was the dupli-color auto paint. Go get some stuff that's better for what you're doing from an auto supply, not Lowe's or Home Depot.

Not that you have to specifically use this or anything but for example I got 1 can filler primer, 2 cans black, 1 can clear, and an assorted pack of sandpaper. Came out to $20 and got a pretty decent finish in one evening in a 50 degree garage.
          '01 TL1000R

Comment

FYI.....any car paint that you can buy in a paint shop, can be had in rattle cans as well. the place i buy my car paint, they can give it to me in a spray can, or by the pint, quart or gallon.

dude....don't use rustoleum. splurge a little bit. lol
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
            X