X

Petcock problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock problem

Sorry but I have sort of dumb question about the petcock. If I am not mistaken from everything I have read forward is reserve, down is on and back is primary.

I have had my bike for just over a week and never touched the petcock but just went outside to check it's setting and it was set to primary. From what I read that is not necessary good to have it on all the time, so my question is...

1. Why is there a primary setting if it is not good to use all the time? When would I use it?

2. When would I switch to reserve (I assume if I run out of gas in the on postion)? How much gas is in the reserve area?

3. What should I do since I have been running the bike on primary for the last week and what negative effects does that have on my bike?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Should have did a little more searching... found my answer.

Except I guess for question #3

*******EDIT**********
    Ok looks like I need to change the oil asap. What else should I change or get done as a tuneup since I have to change the oil?

Comment

It's "prime" , not primary . BIG difference . If you're floats are doing their job , it won't be a problem . Check your oil level , and smell it .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

what md86 is getting at is gas could have been dumped into your oil as a result of leaving it on prime. if your oil level is above normal and/or smells like gas, fuel was dumped in. either way, i would probably do some oil changes just to be safe. get a cheap motorcycle oil, and then the oil you normally use. change the oil, including the oil cooler, fill with the cheaper oil and run it for 15 minutes or so. then change the oil again along with the oil filter and you'll be good to go.

Long Live the D

Comment

While we're discussing this, how long does it take for gas to get dumped into engine oil ? Minutes, hours, days, weeks ?

(p.s. I'm a service noob)
          Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Sounds like a plan, "prime" not "primary" gotcha. I can see how saying it the wrong way could be bad. I will check it tonight when I get home and buy oil and oil fliter to replace it.

How often should the plugs be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
              While we're discussing this, how long does it take for gas to get dumped into engine oil ? Minutes, hours, days, weeks ?

(p.s. I'm a service noob)
              i guess that depends on your floats like md86 said.

Originally posted by TAFNAP
              How often should the plugs be replaced?
              i think it's every 7500 miles. i didn't change mine out until i fouled one...

Long Live the D

Comment

Working...
              X