no flow oil cooler 1981 1100 katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no flow oil cooler 1981 1100 katana

Hi Guys

Need some help from those in the know. I just fitted an oil cooler on my bike and and found that the oil cannot flow up the oilways to the cooler. I routed the oil from the base of the engine in front where there are 2 stud holes and even routed it the right way. It seems that the oil cannot generate enough pressure to go up all the way to the oil cooler.Is there some kind of one way valve that has to be fitted ? Any ideas why this is so?

Did you fit a oil filter cover with a bypass? The stock 1100 cover does not have a bypass. The stock cover from a GS1150 does.
    Also I suggest a new oil pump and high volume oil pump gears.

Comment

You need a restrictor to divert the oil to the cooler:

Many of us like to add an oil cooler to the big Kats to try and keep them comfortable. What many off you probably don't know and I didn't either for some time is that unless you change the oil filter cover the cooler is little more than cosmetic.The reason for this is that the 1150 oil filter cover has a restrictor in it to force oil up the oil gallery to the cooler. Without this cover little oil gets up to the cooler.WARNING - if you ever remove the cooler also replace the filter cover with the stock Katana cover or you will turn the engine into a boat anchor.
      From Rob Wilton's website: http://www.robwilton.com/katana_engine.html
      1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Or, feed the cooler from the rear of the engine at the oil pressure switch port;

1981 CB900F (silver)
        1982 CB900F (blue)
        1982 GS1000SZ Katana (silver)
        1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
          Or, feed the cooler from the rear of the engine at the oil pressure switch port;

I have no comment on the oil pressure, but holy crap is that bike gorgeous. Will you trade that bike for my wife?
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            Will you trade that bike for my wife?
            I use to have one of those - too expensive to maintain. I'd rather have the Kat
            1981 CB900F (silver)
            1982 CB900F (blue)
            1982 GS1000SZ Katana (silver)
            1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Working...
            X