Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What would you pay for '91 Kat 750 project?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you pay for '91 Kat 750 project?

I'm going to be looking at a '91 Katana 750. It's been sitting (outside) for 3 years. I don't know if it was covered or not. Supposedly someone tried to steal the bike at some point. The owner was crossing the solenoid contacts to get it started until he could get the ignition switch replaced. Eventually it stopped starting that way as well and it's been sitting ever since. So it needs an ignition switch, possibly a starter, and who knows what else after sitting for 3 years. Obviously the whole fuel system needs to be gone through. It's supposedly in good cosmetic condition aside from a mirror that fell off while it was leaning against a wall.

This would be my first bike. I'm very mechanical and know it will be a project and will take awhile to get it up and running. It does have a clean title. The guy threw out a ballpark figure of $800 since that's what he paid for it. I'm thinking about offering $400. Any thoughts on what it's worth and what "surprises" may be in store for me after sitting for so long?

Thanks

no more than 4 or 5 tops

just off the top of my head
    rust in tank
    dry rot tires if not dry rot at least flat spot
    sitting outside 3 years? brakes, rotors

check it out might be a diamond in the rough
    Last edited by Rowdy; 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I'd go 4-500 based upon what you described....

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I just contacted the guy and supposedly someone offered him $800 for it. I told him to jump on it because I was only willing to pay $400! lol

If the other guy flakes maybe he'll give me a call. Otherwise I will keep my eyes open for something else.

NADA estimated it at $200 for "Fair" and $650 for "Good."

Thanks

Comment

Yeah, no way its worth $800. It's amazing the amount of problems that can develop with 3 years of neglect (my bike sat outside uncovered and never started for 3 years, I paid $300)
          sigpic
          »Ross Wendell
          »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

I would have to agree with the others. $800 is what he paid but it has had use and neglect since then. Why would he think it is still worth the same money? Odd.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead82 View Post
              NADA estimated it at $200 for "Fair" and $650 for "Good."

Thanks
              sitting outside as long as it has and the problems it has does not even rank it as 'Fair"...so $100 tops.

personally, I would just walk away from it, unless you could get it for $100...maybe even $200, just to have on hand for spare parts while you start your project on a bike in better condition.

So that would be my advice...lay it straight to the guy...ya, he paid $800 for it, but 3 years ago and let it go to chit sitting outside, and all it is good for now is a parts bike.

then invest $500 in a decent running one and you will have spare parts up the wazoo to play with.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Doesn't Suzuki put some sort of resistor in the ignition of the Kats?

I always thought that if someone tried hotwiring it the lack of the ignition resistance would fry the CDI after a little while.

Have you gotten it started? If not, you may be looking at a new CDI =\

-Duo Maxawell

P.S. Maybe I was unconcious while reading the forums and what I'm saying is crazy babble...if so disregard me.
                Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                X