X

alternator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator

i had my charging system tested the other day and it red like 15.5 volts i guess it was so i called the shop and they said i need to replace voltage regulator is that the right name for that part and anyone know how much it costs and how to replace thatnks

First, are you sure your battery is good? If the battery was particularly low on charge (or brand new and not charged up), the voltage could kick that high trying to recharge it.

Under normal circumstances, yes, 15.5 volts would be a bad voltage regulator. For a '93 Kat 600, the part number for the regulator is 32500-27A00 and it runs $123 - $150 new depending on source (mail order vs. local dealer).

It's item #10 in this fiche file:
    RonAyers.com - Fiche - 93 Kat - Alternator

Suggest you send a PM to Special K or BraadaJim to see if they have a complete alternator with voltage regulator laying around they would part with for half that price.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

?

yes the battery is brand new just put it in and had system tested is it hard to change that part out

Comment

I had the same thing happen . I bought a new regulator . Didn't fix the problem . I just check the battery more often anymore ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

?

so its ok if its testing that high then to leave it go and just check the battery

Comment

Just what happened to me . You CAN test the components , just gotta get them out .

Comment

Re: ?

Originally posted by 93redkat
              yes the battery is brand new just put it in and had system tested is it hard to change that part out
              If the battery is brand new, did it sit on a charger for several hours to come to full charge? Easy way to tell - bike off (key out), it should read about 13.2 Volts brand new. If not, the charging system was straining to charge it up -- and you should take the battery out & charge it up, then retest.

It's one of those situations where a bad voltage regulator can cook a good battery, or an undercharged battery can cause extreme readings out of the voltage regulator. Since it's easier to control the battery end of things, you always start by charging the battery to 100% and checking it first, then rechecking the voltage regulator. Personally, on a 14 year old bike, I'd be likely to replace both the alternator and the voltage regulator with a known-good combo (used or knew) for peace of mind if either component failed (alt or voltage regulator).

It's a bit time consuming to get at, but it isn't brain surgery to change 'em. Like I said, see what an used combo will set you back.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My battery tested 12.6 off pretty much EVERY time I check it , and it still seems to charge a little high according to the book . Even after I swapped regulators , and then alternators . I just make it a point to check the battery more often . Not so hard .

Comment

Working...
                X