X

1997 Katana 750 Exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Katana 750 Exhaust

I picked up up this Katana for my son last summer. It's in pretty good shape, but he would like the 4-1 pipe. After my research I see I need Post 750 header, oil pan, and a pickup. It's amazing how much time I have spent looking through posts and microfiche; however, I cannot find anything called "oil pickup". If someone could shed some light on what this is or a part number that would be great.

Another thing is we(I) do not want it loud! So with the post header and oil pan, can I put a stock 750 or 600 muffler on this bike? I see if you cut about 2" off a stock muffler and re-weld that it may work.

I'm trying to keep the updates as inexpensive as possible, but I don't want to make a rat bike out of this thing.

If you have any parts that we may need Please let me know. With all the guys putting after market exhausts on there has to a ton of stock mufflers laying around.

Thanks,

HondaBob
    HondaBob
    1991, 1994, 2000 ST1100's
    1997 Katana
    2008 ST1300

Welcome. I'm not completely sure about the post header/muffler setup since I haven't done that one myself but you should be able to fit the factory muffler by trimming the midpipe rather than the muffler, itself.

Another good exhaust option is a header from a 88-93 GSXR-750 with a Yoshimura muffler. I had that combo on my '96 750 and it wasn't too loud. Nice, mellow tone to it and it didn't bother the neighbors once I took the time to repack it. I've run K&N exhausts and they weren't too bad although they were definitely louder than the Yoshi. Definitely avoid the D&D setup. It's one of the loudest out there.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

How much work you put into the post exhaust swap onto a pre really depends on how you ride and how much work you need to do on the suspension.

The post frame is longer than the pre. The post exhaust can rear mount is not adjustable. With that in mind....

You can simply put the headers, oil pan and pickup on with no modifications. The exhaust can could be fitted onto the bike using an "adjustable strap" mount by just ignoring or even cutting off the non adjustable mount bracket.

Oil pickup they are talking about fyi is listed as "oil strainer" on the fiche parts. Generally parts 11 and 13 with misc. other parts with it listed there.

Now, the only reason to cut/reweld the pipe is if your really wanting/needing to improve the clearance on the underside and still use the stock mounting bracket. A worn out suspension, or alot of heavy curve riding (or both) is about the only real reason to worry about that.

What I did was a combo though... not only did I cut 2" out of the pipe and weld it back, I also used an oxy torch to heat up and bend the header tubes to tuck those in tighter around the engine as well.

Then I replaced the worn out rear shock with one that was much better shape and that also helped alot on the clearance.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

...and there you go. The expert has spoken.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Fantastic, I going to do the header swap, oil pan, and such. I like the idea of the Yosh pipe my nephew Stuler here at katriders has that pipe and your right it sounds nice. However, if I can pick up a cheap OEM can from somebody, that would be better. Did I mention I was cheap? And that this isn't my bike? LOL I love to tinker, but have a few friends that can do the cutting and welding. I'm more of a drill and bolt kinda of guy. But this will be a fun project and my son I'm sure will appreciate it.

Kreylyn thanks for the info on the pickup/strainer thingy. I use Ron Ayers for all my Honda stuff and that's where I was looking for the pickup. Thank you for clarifying!

BTW...seems like the Katriders forum is as helpful as the ST-Riders forum I belong to. Simply fantastic!
          Last edited by hondabob; 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          HondaBob
          1997 Katana
          2008 ST1300

Comment

Just a follow-up queston.

According to the microfiche post 600 and 750 oil pan is the same part and will work on my pre 98 750.

Thanks in advanced.
            HondaBob
            1997 Katana
            2008 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by hondabob View Post
              Just a follow-up queston.

According to the microfiche post 600 and 750 oil pan is the same part and will work on my pre 98 750.

Thanks in advanced.
              Yes, it's the same oil pan on both post kats, and some model bandits as well.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Oil pan found and purchased off of Ebay!

Watching for a 750 header.....almost have everything we need to begin the work!
                HondaBob
                1997 Katana
                2008 ST1300

Comment

Post 600 Can/Muffler with 750 Headers

As you know I have '97 750 Kat, and going to do the swap to the Pre-Headers. Have the oil pan on and headers on order. Found a like new 600 stock can/muffler for FREE! Can I use this on my '97 750 Kat? I know it will need modification or a strap to mount but any reason I cannot use this muffler?

Feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,
                  HondaBob
                  1997 Katana
                  2008 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                  X