X

My 1st Ltr bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
    So, I've always wanted to ask someone from a Katana 600, Seat of the pants feeling the differnce power wise between 600 KAT and R1? How fast power comes on? Wheelie first gear? Just the basics.
    I had a 99 r1 that was piped with a header, and jetted. that bike was unbelieveably fast. compared to the kat it was like comparing a scooter to a jet. u just cant compare the 2. however, the kats ergo's didnt make me sit on my nutz like the r1 did. that bike was so damn uncomfortable. I would take it to car and bike shows and thats about it.
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by wickeded View Post
      I'm sure finding that out now
      I haven't ridden a newer R1.....just my old 96, so I'm not sure how they ride. What I do know is that I can ride pretty much all day and just stop for gas and a smoke. The Kat definitely has different ergos, but I found the Yammi easier on my body for some reason (especially less numbing on my hands).....unless you're riding two-up and then "Jim and the twins " aren't going to be impressed unless you've instructed your guest to push on your back at stops.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        I haven't ridden a newer R1.....just my old 96, so I'm not sure how they ride. What I do know is that I can ride pretty much all day and just stop for gas and a smoke. The Kat definitely has different ergos, but I found the Yammi easier on my body for some reason (especially less numbing on my hands).....unless you're riding two-up and then "Jim and the twins " aren't going to be impressed unless you've instructed your guest to push on your back at stops.
        Ive never ridden a 96 but ive sat on one. the difference in ergos in unbelieveable. the 96 is ALOT more comfortable than my ol 99. id take ur 96 over mine comfort wise
        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
          So, I've always wanted to ask someone from a Katana 600, Seat of the pants feeling the differnce power wise between 600 KAT and R1? How fast power comes on? Wheelie first gear? Just the basics.
          First impression, power is Instant, no wheelies yet since I'm adjusting to the bike. First ride on the freeway I was just cruising and looked at the speedo - 125 MPH - it felt like I was going 60 MPH. The big difference to me are the brakes, they are awesome. I was expecting the power difference but the brakes caught me off guard. I locked them the fist time I applied them because I squeezed as I normally brake the Kat.

I have a bad back and always get a sore lower back and numbness on my left hand on the Kat. So far the R1 is very unkind to my butt, but it actually is more friendly to my lower back and no hand numbness on my left hand.
          Last edited by wickeded; 04-18-2011, 09:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

First impression, power is Instant, no wheelies yet since I'm adjusting to the bike. First ride on the freeway I was just cruising and looked at the speedo - 125 MPH - it felt like I was going 60 MPH. The big difference to me are the brakes, they are awesome. I was expecting the power difference but the brakes caught me off guard. I locked them the fist time I applied them because I squeezed as I normally brake the Kat.

I have a bad back and always get a sore lower back and numbness on my left hand on the Kat. So far the R1 is very unkind to my butt, but it actually is more friendly to my lower back and no hand numbness on my left hand.
            Thank you for the detailed description. Have fun.
            FROM WORK:
            "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

boy if i had $5400 i'd be flying out to CA this weekend....i love those bikes. I test road an 05 R1 and was surpised how comfortable it was. I was expecting to be cramped like i was when i test road an 08 cbr 600. On the cbr my knees were in my throat, but the R1 felt good. I didnt want to trade my bike in and didnt have the cash so decided to wait....ending up buying the wife a vulcan....but i really like the 05-07 R1's
              Godspeed
              CSBA #1167
              Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                Ive never ridden a 96 but ive sat on one. the difference in ergos in unbelieveable. the 96 is ALOT more comfortable than my ol 99. id take ur 96 over mine comfort wise
                Stu....... based on what I like.....can you recommend a ride? I'd appreciate it.
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by 600Kat4EB View Post
                  boy if i had $5400 i'd be flying out to CA this weekend....i love those bikes. s
                  I hate CA spec bikes!

Comment

Stu....... based on what I like.....can you recommend a ride? I'd appreciate it.
                    well seeing as you ride a 1000cc sport bike now, i imagine youd want to stay in that range. that being said, i know its gonna sound like im just hyping this bike up , but my zx14 is the best bike ive ever ridden. even if your legs get cramped or u find yourself leaning forward to much, they make peg lowering kits, and bar risers for it. I love the power band, still gets 40+mpg freeway, and is surprisingly nimble for a powerhouse bike. I just bought a throttlemeister cruise control for it. the only down side is the cost of ins but at your age you shouldnt be paying too much. What type of bike are you looking for? something to have fun with or something to replace the yzf?
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

So I have been riding the R1 for a week now and was having trouble cornering. I thought I just needed to get used to the way the bike handled. At mid cornering it felt like it bottomed out, and at freeway speeds it also went wide. After a few days with no improvement I figured maybe there was something wrong with the bike. Did a quick check and all looked okay with the exception of a somewhat cupped front tire.
                      I was hoping this was the problem and nothing else and continued my daily use of the bike.
                      Got off work and ready to go home, turned on the bike got my gear on and then it hit me....I never checked my tire pressure . Sure enough the rear was 29 and front 19 ( manual states 42/36).

What a difference!!! I can actually lean the bike now.
                      I always do a pre-ride check on all my bikes but I guess I was so eager to ride and got so focused on not making a mistake while riding that I ignored the basics.
                      http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

So I have been riding the R1 for a week now and was having trouble cornering. I thought I just needed to get used to the way the bike handled. At mid cornering it felt like it bottomed out, and at freeway speeds it also went wide. After a few days with no improvement I figured maybe there was something wrong with the bike. Did a quick check and all looked okay with the exception of a somewhat cupped front tire.
                        I was hoping this was the problem and nothing else and continued my daily use of the bike.
                        Got off work and ready to go home, turned on the bike got my gear on and then it hit me....I never checked my tire pressure . Sure enough the rear was 29 and front 19 ( manual states 42/36).

What a difference!!! I can actually lean the bike now.
                        I always do a pre-ride check on all my bikes but I guess I was so eager to ride and got so focused on not making a mistake while riding that I ignored the basics.

WHOA!!! Glad you found out what the deal was. So i'm assuming that you love the bike.
                        Godspeed
                        CSBA #1167
                        Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                          well seeing as you ride a 1000cc sport bike now, i imagine youd want to stay in that range. that being said, i know its gonna sound like im just hyping this bike up , but my zx14 is the best bike ive ever ridden. even if your legs get cramped or u find yourself leaning forward to much, they make peg lowering kits, and bar risers for it. I love the power band, still gets 40+mpg freeway, and is surprisingly nimble for a powerhouse bike. I just bought a throttlemeister cruise control for it. the only down side is the cost of ins but at your age you shouldnt be paying too much. What type of bike are you looking for? something to have fun with or something to replace the yzf?
                          I'm looking to replace the Yammi for a sport-tourer and so far I've read good things about the Bandit 1250S and several posters have said a lot of good things about the zx14. I'm only 5'8" but I can flat-foot my Yammi and the Bandit. Would the same be true of the zx as I've never been on one?
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Nice!!
                            Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                            MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm looking to replace the Yammi for a sport-tourer and so far I've read good things about the Bandit 1250S and several posters have said a lot of good things about the zx14. I'm only 5'8" but I can flat-foot my Yammi and the Bandit. Would the same be true of the zx as I've never been on one?

im 5'9" and can flatfoot the zx. like i said, it can be so customized its the overall perfect bike imho. if i were you id go to a kawi dealer and sit on one. get a feeling for it.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Sure enough the rear was 29 and front 19 ( manual states 42/36)
                                That is for the stock tires which I doubt are still on the bike. You need to go by the MFR's rec. for the set of tires that are on there now.

The zx14 is a great bike, but it's a big Katana.
                                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X